T R E Y asked in SportsWrestling · 9 years ago

Are we more of entertainment fans than wrestling fans (more inside)?

I believe the reason why WWE and TNA are doing so good is because they showcase more entertainment than wrestling, as opposed to promotions such as ROH and Dragon Gate, who aren't doing as good because they give more wrestling than entertainment .

And look at the Attitude Era . Don't you people think it was so good because of the antics and the entertainment, not so much wrestling ?

So what are your thoughts ?

Best Answer

Im not, but mainstream wrestling has really nothing but entertainment now a days.

That is why I think companies like Ring of Honor, Chikara, Pro Wrestling Noah are

the future of pro wrestling. But if you think about it.....entertainment gets more

ratings. The Attitude Era proved that....most of the era was about entertaining

you with promos, storylines and segments rather then the actual wrestling.

So I want necessary say that we like entertainment better, because some

wrestling fans do prefer entertainment over the actual wrestling.

I don't, I guess you can say I am old school. Because if you really think about

it entertainment is filled in WWE and TNA. We really only see quality wrestling

matches at the Pay Per View events, and that isn't all the time. The average

episode of Raw is mostly filled with talk and less wrestling. And now the same

thing for TNA. Personally, I guess they think that this generation of pro wrestling

fans prefer entertainment then actual wrestling. Some people are more of a fan

of entertainment.

If you go ask a normal person on the street why do they watch wrestling? They

will probably say because they put on such a good show. And now a days people

may still have that answer. Not that they don't like good wrestling matches because

they probably do. But probably just not all the time, if you look at it....WWE is company.

And same thing with TNA, but with the Indies they are considered a wrestling promotion.

Which means that WWE and TNA or (mainstream) wrestling focus more on entertainment

rather then pro wrestling. Which most Indies company's do, they have more and better

quality matches when compared to WWE & TNA.

So, I think that it is most pro wrestling fans are a fan of both. Because we may love

storylines and segments but at the end of the day, we want to see good quality

wrestling matches too. I can speak for myself and say that I am more of a wrestling

fan but I think the IWC as a total is a fan of both. It just seems different.

I believe so to, I mean for the last 3 years it's been more Entertainment Wrestling instead of Actual Wrestling if you get what im talking about. Since the Attitude Era, Entertainment Wrestling has increased slightly in time but brands like ROH, NOAH still have Actual Wrestling opposed to Entertainment.

So Currently I think were more Entertainment Wrestling Fans

I consider wrestling my entertainment. But the way your looking at it, it makes some sense. You know obviously that I'm an Attitude Era fan. I liked it better because it was more entertaining and when they had a match they made it a good match. During 2004 in WWE they had the perfect mix or entertainment and wrestling. Nowadays they show less entertaining things and more wrestling. That's why WWE's ratings today are nothing to the Attitude Era ratings. I would agree with you to a certain point. We want more entertainment instead of the actual sport of wrestling itself.

• Hence World Wrestling ENTERTAINMENT!

But yes, WWE seems to be focusing more on the story/drama than actual wrestling. If you look in the WWE, only a few handful of "wrestlers" have great in ring wrestling skills (ex: Jericho, Daniel Bryan, Del Rio, Punk, William Regal, Swagger, HBK, HHH, Edge, etc)

So the answer to your question is yes, we are more fans of entertainment than we are of wrestling. But, that entertainment comes with some really awesome wrestling matches.

ROH and DragonGate are no in the business to compete with WWE, they are an alternative to the mainstream, so you really can't compare something that's indie to something that's mainstream. That would be like comparing homebrew to commercial beer

and Bound Flor Glory 2009 actually got about the same amount of attendance as an average ROH show

Yea because I usually just watch WWE and TNA and seldom ROH and the like even though I do enjoy 'rasslin.

Of course we're entertainment fans, that's why we watch professional wrestling and not UFC.

I think that threre are more entertainment fans and not enough wrestlings fans left.

I'd say I'm half-and-half. The "drama" keeps me hooked on the show, and the wrestling is what starts, continues, and ends the drama and keeps me pumped up!

Yes, because what would kids rather see, UFC without all the real punching or Cena make corny jokes?

Source(s): 6-11 and still Mr. Wrestlemania.