pros and cons of San Marcos, CA?

so my family is from CT the only time my dad had been to California is when he hitchhiked there back in '76 . we really want to move out there because well, we have our reasons and since im the computer techy my mom and dad asked me to look up some nice towns away from L.A so i found San Marcos blah blah. anyone know the Pros and Cons? i want to know this "town" like the back of my hand or as close as i can get so pleaseeeee inform me with your knowledge thanks

if your wondering why i picked San Diego 1, there was no option for San Marcos and 2. its part of San Diego county

• Joe C
    Favorite Answer

The sections of San Marcos that border Carlsbad, La Costa, and Lake San Marcos (an unincorporated area that is not part of the city of San Marcos) are very nice. Likewise, the Twin Oaks area in the north section is mostly newly developed, as is the San Elijo area. They are very nice areas to live. The area north of Route 78 corridor and Mission Road is considered the Barrio. The closer you go east towards Escondido, to lower the property values.

There are two colleges here, Palomar College(with the large P that dominates the hill about the city) and Cal State University, San Marcos. "The Sprinter" light rail runs to both campuses and runs from Oceanside to Escondido. At the Escondido terminus of the Sprinter, the San Diego Padres are building a new ballpark for their AAA minor league baseball team that is moving from Portland OR.

There is plenty of shopping, restaurants, and multiplex theater. Restaurant Row has been here for years and people come from all over North County to eat here. IMO Bruno's is one of the best Italian restaurants in San Diego county. (I'm Italian and originally from NY.) The pasta is all made on the premises and the pizza is out of this world. There is a Nordstrom Rack, Bed Bath & Beyond, Marshall's and other major retail shopping in Grand Plaza. Fry's Electronics (a leading west coast retailer of computers, home entertainment and appliances) has a mega store here. San Marcos is also the North County Center for home furnishings. There are many furniture stores and home furnishings stores along the Route 78 corridor as well as Home Depot and Lowe's. There are also plenty of fast food outlets like In 'N Out Burger, Jersey Mike's Subs, and Phil's BBQ.

The climate is between coastal and inland. We get some of the coastal fog but it burns off early, keeping it cooler in the summer than other inland areas. When it's 95 in Escondido, it's only 85 here.

There are three high schools, one being brand new, another is High Tech High.

The Discovery Lake area has bridal and walking trails that connect to a network of trails that will eventually go all the way to the Pacific Ocean.

Real estate is less expensive than neighboring Carlsbad, and the sales tax is .25% less. Good deals can be found.

Politics tend Republican but it is turning more Democratic in voter registration. The old mayor, who had been in office forever (since the Nixon administration), was ousted five years ago after he sided with developers trying to build a Wal Mart superstore near a new residential development at a busy intersection. There was a successful grass roots movement to oust him and the members of the city council who were perceived to be in the back pocket of the developers.

In general, it's a nice place to live

http://www.ci.san-marcos.ca.us/index.aspx?page=140

Source(s): Live in San Marcos, work in Carlsbad

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avh6T

San Marcos is in the area we call North County Inland. It has one of the better run City Governments in San Diego County. Crime is not better or worse than most areas. It has some industrial and some low income areas but the single family housing areas are safe. The cost of living would be the same for the rest of San Diego expensive, The schools are ok not stellar but not as bad as San Diego Unified and not as good as Poway School district. The economy and job market is bad here and everywhere else in the world right now. Sort out the job situation before you make a move anywhere. Housing costs are down as well so if you can afford it it is a great time to buy, You can work almost anywhere in the city and commute to San Marcos Leisure wise it is San Diego. you can play outside in shorts and a T shirt for well over 300 days out of the year I would look at Poway as well

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

pros and cons of San Marcos, CA?

so my family is from CT the only time my dad had been to California is when he hitchhiked there back in '76 . we really want to move out there because well, we have our reasons and since im the computer techy my mom and dad asked me to look up some nice towns away from L.A so i found San Marcos...

Source(s): pros cons san marcos ca: https://bitly.im/uwBOL