Drew asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 9 years ago

Is ROTC in college a good thing? Will enlisted men/women respect me even if I have a good attitude?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Bottom line is that it all depends on you. I had officers come who thought they were hot $&(@ and tried to impress us. Turns out that they were book smart and experts in theory. When it actually came to the field they were useless. The best ones were the officers that came in and listened. It didn't matter that they outranked us, we had much more experience then they did and they used us to learn. Those were the ones who were respected, and those were the ones whose careers continued to flourish.

Source(s): 4 years active duty 82nd airborne OEF deployment OIF deployment Hurricane Katrina relief
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Depends on the instructors at the college in question. Some are good, others are bad. Although- if you are motivated enough, you can make it a good experience- but that will take some extra work. I'd suggest seeking out some (never just one) current ROTC cadets at whatever college you are looking at going to and within 1-3 years of the time you are going to go (instructors are usually assigned for 1-3 years at a time), ask them how the ROTC experience is at their school. Then ask to speak/interview 2-3 instructors, preferably at least one NCO. You might even be able to get the school's statistics- like how many were in ROTC, how many went Active Duty, what branches they got, etc.

I'm not sure what your second question is asking- unless it is asking if enlisted soldiers will respect you even if you received your commission through ROTC. If that is the question then the answer is: most won't disrespect you simply because you were an ROTC cadet. Most aren't that shallow. They'll respect you based on how you treat them. If you care about them- and that means being competent too- then they'll respect you.

• 9 years ago

Short answer, it won't matter because officers get switched between units fairly frequently.

Long answer, not that long I guess, respect is earned. Keep in mind enlisted don't give a **** where you graduated from or what your grades were. Lead by example and treat them with respect. A good confident attitude is contagious.

Question answered.

• 9 years ago

you have to earn respect by treating them well and demonstrating good leadership characteristics. and yes rotc in college is great! you will graduate as an officer and be in charge of these enlisted men/women. treat those you are in charge of as your friends, not your pets, and they will love you. good luck!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

The entire West Point/ROTC/OCS thing has really kind of gone away with all the deployments. You don't have to worry about it.

• 9 years ago

Respect is Earned...not a right...

You look after your Troops they will look after you...

You don't there is nothing worse than going into Combat

like that...they can make your life miserable...

Source(s): Retired Marine...VSO...
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

so you want to enlist into the army and become a killer?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.