Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Erika asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 1 decade ago

how can i dis lock a dell laptop?

i bought a new laptop and it has a password on it. i bought it off of ebay and i tryed to communicate with them but they wont answer. if it helps its a dell laptop =\

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It has nothing to do with it being a dell laptop or any other brand. The fact that it had a password on it and the seller refuses to communicate points pretty firmly to the fact it was stolen. Hopefully it isn't and they will just give you the password. Maybe they were on vacation.

It is easy to get around a windows password, but most reposnsible answerers on Yahoo QA will not teach you because of the high likelyhood of it being stolen from it's original owner.

Some dells have bios passwords, some have hd passwords and MANY dells have a lojack locater built in. Everytime you go on the internet it will report your location.

If the owner does not contact you to give you the password I would report it to ebay's "safe harbor". IF you call dell, the first thing they will do is ask you to verify the ownership, which of course you can't do. If it was reported to dell as stolen, the first time you call tech support, they will report "possesion of stolen goods" to your local law enforcement. You should ask the owner to not only give you the password, but to update dell's ownership database too. I PROMISE you dell will refuse to give tech support unless you can give proper ownership. If they update it, you won't have to worry.

Unfortunately just buying an item, even if you have a reciept does not mean you're the legal owner.

• Bob
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Where is the pass word at. Bios, hard drive or windows. Some are easy to get out and some are hard to do. Take it to you neighbor service center for a estimate. Prices 25 to 100 dollars is about what tech charge.

• ?
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

hello, properly something unlawful is worry. if something is going incorrect with it and u contact dell or it sends it area and serial huge style or service tag to dell and they say it truly is stolen and they pinpoint your area and arrest you. youre in severe worry. if it truly is at production unit value and also you get a receipt then thats a distinct tale.... inspite of the indisputable fact that it truly is continuously more suitable useful the criminal way...have self assurance me. inspite of in case you dont get stuck issues have a fashion of coming decrease back to you in a while in life have self assurance me i kno purchase it from an approved broking service or reselller or immediately. cant get it incorrect

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

take it to geeksquad...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.