Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

Boxer Dog Emergency?! ASAP?

I currently own a 7 month old German- Line Female Boxer, she has real sensitive skin. I bathe her twice a month using "Johnson & Johnson Hyper- Allergenic Baby Shampoo". I ran out of the shampoo her last bathing (I bathed her Sunday) and so I went to PetCo and bought "Hartz ultra Guard rid Flea & Tick Shampoo for dogs". After purchasing it, I returned home and bathed my puppy, paying close attention not to get it in her eyes nor mouth. She seemed fine the rest of the night but the next morning at 7:00 am when I fed her she seemed resistant and refused to eat. i poured about 1/4 cup of plain canned dog gravy in her food (She usually devours it) but again she refused to eat. Then as the day went on, she started vomiting this foggy liquid as if her mouth was a water hose. I rushed her to my Vet and they treated her for Pyrethrins Poisoning. I guess the active ingredient n the shampoo called "Pyrethrins" seeped through my dog's skin and she was poisoned by it. She is currently doing well and recovering, but my question is:

Is this common, has any of you had problems with the "Hartz" brand? and Is there anything Legally I can do to get my very expensive vet bills refunded to me?

NOTE: the only warning label on the 18 fl oz bottle of shampoo says "CAUTION- keep out of reach of children"

Update:

Her vet approved the Johnson & Johnson Shampoo, but since the incident, she is encouraging me to use "Sentry Oatmeal shampoo for dogs & puppies"

Update 2:

its on file at my vet that it was NOT an allergic reaction to the product as well

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    NOT "common".

    NO,you will NOT get any money from them.

    You'll only spend a horrible amount on al awyer & lose.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • B!nd!
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

    Is she currently on any flea medications? If you do use a flea shampoo on a dog that already has had a monthly flea treatment, it may be possible to overdose, and therefore have this reaction.

    I know that this poisoning is much more common in cats, and normally caused when people apply dog flea products to cats.

    If this is the case- you probably wouldn't have a leg to stand on in court.

    This poisoning can also be caused by other insecticides, such as surface sprays, flea bombs, insect sprays, etc.

    It would be unusual for a dog to overdose on just the flea shampoo without having been contaminated with another dose of the poison coming from somewhere else (eg. flea treatment, insect spray)

    You would have to discuss whether it was the shampoo and only the shampoo that caused the problem, and then go from there.

    Once you have consulted your vet, I would definately contact Hartz and complain to them about the problem- even if it did work out to be caused by an overdose of using too many pesticides- there should be warning labels on the bottles instructing that these products are not safe for cats, not safe when used in conjunction with other pesticides, etc)

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

    I have heard and found that hartz is some of the worse products you can buy

    many animals have a bad reaction to Hartz products but trying to get a vet to say that it's the product and the amount it would cost to try to sue a company as big as hartz is just not worth it

    just don't use any of there products and let others know about what has happened

    I would also suggest an oatmeal shampoo for the sensitive skin

    Source(s): professional groomer
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

    Poor puppy! I don't think you'd get very far in a lawsuit, especially since the vet says it wasn't an allergic reaction. However, I would switch to doggy shampoo, for sure. Or, don't laugh, horse shampoo. Mane 'N' Tail is great. It's made to be gentle on a pet's mucus membranes as well, so it shouldn't aggravate her. But I'd also first follow my vet's advice and use the oatmeal stuff, and see how that works out.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

    YES. We got a dog from a pet store that had to give the whole litter away due to Hartz shampoo. They said the breeder inadvertently gave all the puppies a bath with the Hartz shampoo and they had "an allergic reaction" to the shampoo.

    Source(s): Experience
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Sarah
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

    My dog ate a dead animal that died from eating rat poison and we took him to the vet within the hour. The vet induces vomitting and makes sure it can throw up everything, then she gave my dog charcoal to absorb what was left. We have to give him vitamin k for a month because it's a coagulant and poisions can make them bleed internally. But everything has been going good ever since. So make sure you get them to a vet ASAP because you won't know if the poison is harming them for three days when they finally die. It was a very scary three days but everything turned out great. Best of luck to you.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Mary J
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

    Well first stop bathing her so much stop using human shampoo and no you cannot do anything about this. Your dog was allergic to something they cannot help that.

    Your vet knows nothing Johnson and Johnson is not good for your dog and your dog should not be bathed every week. Pyrethrin is an insecticide found in many things and is considered safe around animals your dog was sensitive to it they cannot predict that and you need to deal with it.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anita
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

    Never bathe a dog more than once a month, you are taking all the natural oils out of the skin. I personally won't use any Hartz products, they suck!

    Source(s): Veterinary Technician
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

    well first off you should never use that brand of shampoo i have herd so many bad things happened to pets because of what is in that shampoo.

    and because she still a puppy you need to be using a puppy shampoo like earth bath puppy it smells really nice. i used it on my boxer when she was puppy and i will only use earth bath shampoos . you can find these shampoos at petsmart and petco. but please never ever use any hartz brands.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

    its a rare sensitivity - I doubt much more lawsuit fodder than the lady at work who is allergic to cranberries would win suing Ocean spray

    Interestingly I own a granddaughter of such a sensitive dog-it was discovered when she reacted to a DIFFERENT brand of flea product - washing her again in plain soap solved it- no problems with the granddaughter

    PS Annie with me & my Brother it was a swiped pack of fig Neutons- still can't touch the suckers over 30 yr later

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Annie
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

    Pyrethrines are from the chrysanthemum flower. Generally safe for dogs, not safe for cats.

    Her symptoms do not sound like pyrethrine toxicity. They sound like a virus. You may be chasing a red herring.

    Kind of like my kids. I made a nice homemade mac & cheese. They all got sick that night -- virus with lots of puking. None of them will touch mac and cheese (years later!!) except from a box. The mac and cheese was the red herring -- something that occured close in time but with no connection to the event (puking).

    http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1677&a...

    Source(s): Show breeder
    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.