promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Jac Mark asked in SportsHockey · 9 years ago

How did word not leak out of the USA victory over USSR in the 1980 Ice Hockey before the replay of the game ?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

There was an overlap. ABC wanted the IOC to switch the game to 8pm (ABC had no plans to show hockey that night because no one expected the Americans to make the medal round) and the IOC refused.

ABC then didn't want to embarrass themselves so they started their nightly Olympic coverage early to avoid people not watching if they knew the score, and ABC stations were banned from announcing the score during local news breaks)

As for Corey's answer.......it's a bunch of bunk. The whole world knew within 5 minutes of it happening that JFK had been shot. The whole world knew within minutes that Ronald Reagan had been shot (and that happened about a month after the Miracle on Ice so the technology couldn't have changed that fast).

News has always moved fast, in this case, ABC just happened to do some butt covering to make themselves look good.

Source(s): I was there
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

The ABC telecast started at 7pm EST (and was shown in real time across the network - i.e 4pm in California)), and the game was played from 5:30pm to 8:00pm so ABC's telecast occurred while the game was still in progress.

I was living in Buffalo at the time and I remember switching between the 3rd period on the Canadian telecast (Ron Reusch and Dan Kelly) and the 1st period of the ABC telecast (Al Michaels and Ken Dryden) just to see how the play by play would be different

• 9 years ago

Corey basically explains it but my dad told me that he had band practice the same time and day of the game so he wanted to watch the replay that they had... He did all he could to keep from hearing what happened in the game and, while he heard some things, didn't hear it all and watched the game as if it was actually happening... much better experience like that

• 9 years ago

word didn't leak because 1. technology was not as fast as it is now. and 2. people wanted to enjoy watching the game without knowing the out come of it, because it would ruin the experience.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Lack of the internet helped alot.

• 9 years ago

Wha?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.