? asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 9 years ago

would it be safe/unsafe for me to have a vbac this is my 3rd pregnancy?

this is just for research im not looking for a defernate answer im just gathering information an wanting to no how a vbac went for other people before i make my mind up. my 1st child was born vaginally and it was a long tiering labour resulting in me having to have an epidural as she started crowning while i was 4cm diealatied i was also in slow labour for 6days before she was born on 30-5-08. and with my 2cd child i had a c-section as he was quite large and breech i had him on 24-12-09 8 days early both babies where large 1st was 8lb 3oz and second was 9lb i had alot of problems through both pregnancies and with this 3rd pregnancy i had bleeding at 6wks and 9wks im currently 26wks now and im having alot of pain in the lower back and pelvic area ive also had umteen ut ifections and i recently had my tooth pulled 3days ago an have headache since this chest infection dose not help either if you was me what would choose c-section or normal delivery?? please share your thoughts and stories if you have been in a simmerla situation no nasty negative comments please

i forgot to mention that im only a short woman 5ft 1 inc to be excat that is been treated for servear depression and my bmi is 38 which is high for a woman of my age will this make things difficult for me?

Favorite Answer

According to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, you're a good candidate for a vaginal birth after a c-section if you meet all of the following criteria:

You've had only one previous cesarean delivery and it was done with a low transverse (horizontal) incision. Having had more than one c-section or an incision in your upper uterus that was vertical — also known as "classical" — or T-shaped puts you at a greatly increased risk for uterine rupture. Note that the type of scar you have on your belly may not match the one on your uterus, so your practitioner will need to review a copy of your c-section report.

Your pelvis seems large enough to allow your baby to pass through safely. (While there's no way to know this for sure, your practitioner can examine your pelvis and make an educated guess.)

You've never had any other extensive uterine surgery, such as a myomectomy to remove fibroids.

You've never had a uterine rupture.

You have no medical condition or obstetric problem that would make a vaginal delivery risky.

There's a physician on site who can monitor your labor and perform an emergency c-section if necessary.

There's an anesthesiologist, other medical personnel, and equipment available around-the-clock to handle an emergency situation for you or your baby.

VBACs are controversial, and you may find it difficult to decide whether to attempt one. The best approach is to talk to your practitioner about your individual chance of success. Start the discussion early in pregnancy so you'll have time to carefully weigh the benefits and risks.