Why should people even care what the car of the year is?

I've been in the automotive trade for years as a mechanical/electrical tech and auto body tech. I find it hilarious that people even take note of what model car wins the Motor Trend Car of the Year. Hilarius because of Motor Trend has a bad track record of picking cars that fail mechanically faster and more often than many other models offered that year. I think all cars of the year should be a car that has been in production for 3 years with minimal changes over the three years, and picked based on mechanical track records as being reliable and well... strong and sturdy. The list below from 1980 on up to this year is mostly filled with cars that are now considered junk cars solely by their track record of early failures mechanically. I mean look at the list, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Dodge Caravan, Taurus, Renault Alliance,Chrysler K Cars,Chevrolet Citation, Volkswagen GTI ALL cars with very bad reputations now. Car of the year award seems to be based on radical ideas, styling, toys and features, all nice and all but what about it actually doing what people should expect from the "Car of the Year" and that's not breaking down and costing lots of money just to keep it running.

Car of the Year

2011 Chevrolet Volt[10]

2010 Ford Fusion[11]

2009 Nissan GT-R

2008 Cadillac CTS (junk)

2007 Toyota Camry

2006 Honda Civic

2005 Chrysler 300 (junk)

2004 Toyota Prius (junk)

2003 Infiniti G35

2002 Ford Thunderbird

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser (junk)

2000 Lincoln LS

1999 Chrysler 300M (junk)

1998 Chevrolet Corvette

1997 Chevrolet Malibu

1996 Dodge Caravan (junk)

1995 Chrysler Cirrus (junk)

1994 Ford Mustang

1993 Ford Probe GT (junk)

1992 Cadillac Seville Touring Sedan (junk)

1991 Chevrolet Caprice Classic LTZ (junk)

1990 Lincoln Town Car

1989 Ford Thunderbird SC (junk)

1988 Pontiac Grand Prix (junk)

1987 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe (junk)

1986 Ford Taurus LX (junk)

1985 Volkswagen GTI (junk)

1984 Chevrolet Corvette

1983 AMC / Renault Alliance (junk)

1982 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

1981 Chrysler K Cars, Dodge Aries and Plymouth Reliant (junk)

1980 Chevrolet Citation (junk)

JerryJ

Member Since:

May 13, 2009

Total Points:

8,449 (Level 5)

Points earned this week:

47

Wrote: "Gee, my 2004 Prius has a cost of 12 cents per mile for dealer maintenance, tires, and fuel combined over the 115,000 miles I've driven it so far according to the logbook that I keep. It's also fun to drive, holds four full-sized adults in comfort, and judging by the very high owner satisfaction rating, my experience is not alone."

People like JerryJ never seize to amaze me in how they view their car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_nKD-jJLZU

Youtube thumbnail

TO MONKEYBOY

The Caprice was a short lived police car. Police forces experienced very weak suspensions with the Caprice. They has total and scary failures where the suspension dropped all the way and the wheels locked up in the wells. The Transmissions did not last nearly as long as the ol 727's in the Dodge's. If you think back the Caprices reign as the most used in the nations police force was short lived. The Crown Vic was the next to reign king and they still do today. Right now Dodge is trying to get a name for themselves in the Police car market but I am betting on that they will not live up to the expectations the police have for them. The next probable King of the police car is the Ford Taurus based ones that also come in a SUV form. Check out Jay Lenos Garage he just did a video on these new up coming models from Ford.

Favorite Answer

While I would agree with your idea of "junk" (falling apart rapidly) A) I don't think it's that consistent (why the '91 Caprice? Most popular police car in history!) and B) many of those cars listed were the bread and butter of the company making them. I mean look at the K car...it SAVED Chrysler.

Of course, making cars that sell tons but turn American consumers against them based on quality is not really a winning strategy, but hey, they did sell a ton of many of those vehicles.

Edit: going to disagree. The transmission GM used in the caprice is still being used in variant form today, was used in trucks, so it's not weak. The suspension was the same design used from the 70's, and there was no systemic failures.

Ford took over the market ONLY because GM discontinued the Caprice and hoped to foist FWD and SUV's off to police agencies instead, and it backfired. Ford took the market and hasn't had to look back since GM hasn't had a serious RWD competitor yet. The Caprice was faster than the Ford to boot.

1988 Pontiac Grand Prix (junk)

I don't know about most of those cars, but I do know I own a 1988 Pontiac Grand Prix "junk" Since the Mid- 90's and I've had minimal problems with it. I've put 100k miles on it, and since 94 I've only had to replace the water pump, fuel pump and rear struts. It still runs as smoothly as the day I bought it and has never left me sitting. So like I said, I may not know for sure what the other cars are like, but I'm sure if it is well maintained, whatever car it may be, it'll run for years.

I have always brought my car seats unless its really heavy its really easy to use them plus you have them for riding in the car where ever you are going, and its a seat your child knows and is used to, a negative is that its bulky to carry around the airport. I don't know anything about the CARES but i know that being military and on planes alot i perfer to buy a seat and bring my car seats I have two kids that are 2 and 4 and since there were infants i have bought them a seat because its so much nicer! Good Luck!

• JerryJ

2004 Toyota Prius (junk)

Gee, my 2004 Prius has a cost of 12 cents per mile for dealer maintenance, tires, and fuel combined over the 115,000 miles I've driven it so far according to the logbook that I keep. It's also fun to drive, holds four full-sized adults in comfort, and judging by the very high owner satisfaction rating, my experience is not alone.

No one cares about you idiotic opinion on the worth and value of cars. Opinions are like assholes, everyone

has one and it usually STINKS.

they should care more about who won the publishers clearing house prize.

Source(s): Ed before he died