Is it true that you can paralyze your face by piercing your lip?

I'm thinking of getting my lip pierced this month, but I've heard that if the piercer somehow hits a nerve then you could run the risk of paralyzing half your face? Is this true or just a myth? I won't be piercing my own lip, but all the videos that I've watched on youtube on lip piercings just... show more I'm thinking of getting my lip pierced this month, but I've heard that if the piercer somehow hits a nerve then you could run the risk of paralyzing half your face? Is this true or just a myth?

I won't be piercing my own lip, but all the videos that I've watched on youtube on lip piercings just show the piercer shoving a needle right through before actually looking inside the lip.... I can feel a nerve/vein on my lower right side of my lip, but it isn't visible.... I want my lower left side of my lip pierced, but will I run the risk of paralyzing my face? even if I go to a professional??
5 answers