How many published books per year actually make a true profit nowadays?

I can't get an answer to what seems like a simple question, probably because so many people are trying to make money in the new publishing game (print on demand, e-books, self-publishing, books on CD, etc., etc), no one will tell you how many published books actually make a profit. Can't find anything on... show more I can't get an answer to what seems like a simple question, probably because so many people are trying to make money in the new publishing game (print on demand, e-books, self-publishing, books on CD, etc., etc), no one will tell you how many published books actually make a profit. Can't find anything on the web about it. When I say profit, I mean something simple. How many books that are published (regardless of HOW they are published) end up with Total Gross In Sales that are GREATER than the Expenses to GET THE BOOK PUBLISHED, advertised, distributed, whatever? The only time I ever heard someone actually quote a number was the author Greg Mortenson who wrote 2 books about building schools in Afghanistan. He said his publisher stated one in eight non-fiction books makes a profit. Does anyone know of any other statistics about book publishing and profits?
5 answers 5