Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 10 years ago

Is any mention of the word "civility" in reference to the Tuscon shooting per se politicizing?

I think yes because I don't even see an attenuated connection between Loughner's actions and ANY political discourse.

Some may find it fun to say what books he read, or what nut job theory he believed, but judging from two videos I watched, and the to youtube rants, he was apolitical.

Why are mainstream liberal politicians still peddling the "civility" angle, and why are some Republicans buy into it?

EDIT: haha, "elite" has been an insult I've been using for over 20 years. I never knew a time when it had a GOOD connotation.

I guess I'm the product of US public urban education...

• Jason
    Favorite Answer

Not necessarily.

Obviously, Loughner is deranged and his psychosis does not stem from any source but his own mind; but, given his bizarre rantings on grammar, I can see how the political discourse may have contributed to his psychosis.

There's no denying the fact that, in Politics, words and concepts are frequently used ambiguously and outside their denotative context. This leads to political speech which is confusing and, at times, self-contradictory.

Loughner apparently studied many of the best works employing that kind of fuzzy political rhetoric and his already disturbed mind used them to build his own subjective political reality (sound familliar?).

Granted, the problem isn't civility itself, but the lack of civility is a symptom of the underlying problem: Deceptive political rhetoric.

That said, its a problem that has concerned Political-Philosophers for centuries (from Confucius to Orwell to Chomsky). One could also argue though that nature of information technology has amplified the problem.

All considered, I don't think its patently political to suggest that EVERYONE needs to tone it down a notch and say what they really mean.

Source(s): Liberal Jew

Loughner had a facebook page and was on the internet daily. Palin has a facebook page and a twitter account, and she has been all over the news in this regard but also because of her hateful rhetoric, the "Don't Retreat...RELOAD!" (followed by a smirk) spoken AFTER the election results where her endorsed teapottier candidates lost, and her deliberate and PUBLIC posting of the U.S. map listing Democrats BY NAME and also THEIR DISTRICTS, each one covered by a CROSSHAIRS of a gun! This at best was thoughtless and viciously partisan, but at worst was a solicitation of and advocacy for GUN VIOLENCE...especially because peacock-throned and vain-glorious Palin left this hateful map POSTED on a PUBLIC FORUM long after the election results were in and the elections themselves were over!

Since when is yelling "FIRE!" in a crowded theater when there is no fire (which is in essence what Palin has done) legal? The answer is, this is NOT legal behavior. If I were to advise the wounded Arizona residents and the families of the deceased, I would file a LUCRATIVE civil suit against Palin and every single other right-wing Republican or teapottier extremists (i.e., Sharron Angle in NV) who spoke in favor of KILLING or of GUN VIOLENCE against Democrats simply because they won the elections). Maybe if these violence-advocating extremists had to pay big bucks for the duplicity and complicity in creating and environment of HATE, they'd be more likely TONE THINGS DOWN for a while.

Can't remember another time in History where words like civility, elite, and progress were turned into negative words.

They soiled themselves with the issue. So, now they want to distract their mess onto "civility" a shared issue for both the left and right.

And of course, the upcoming political cycle will be as ugly as ever, hopefully.

It is spin to push the progressive agenda. Civility is their way of saying, do not repeal anything that they have done. Progressives keep trying to move the center so compromise always starts from the farthest point to the left.

This was their shining moment to get a leg up in a debate. Tactics is all they'll ever have.

They laid the groundwork so it can be used subtly, implicitly, for years to come.

It's actually a threat, when it comes right down to it... "Stop arguing with us, or ELSE..."

They are using "civility" to mean "will the left-wing nuts and right-wing nuts stop blaming it on the other side already!"