Will my cat overcome FeLV?

We adopted a 5 yo yorkie a few months ago. Around that time, our 4 yo cat kept finding ways to escape our backyard and come home beat up. Within a month of getting the dog, we cut down the tree the cat was climbing to escape, successfully confining him safely in our yard. This resulted in him beginning to spray all... show more We adopted a 5 yo yorkie a few months ago. Around that time, our 4 yo cat kept finding ways to escape our backyard and come home beat up. Within a month of getting the dog, we cut down the tree the cat was climbing to escape, successfully confining him safely in our yard. This resulted in him beginning to spray all over the house. He would mark multiple times a day. We battled this for a few weeks before getting feliway. Shortly thereafter I noticed that he seemed to be developing a bald spot on his left shoulderblade. Turns out he kept scratching until there was a bald spot about the size of a quarter. I was getting concerned that this could be more than just stress from adapting to the new animal, so when he seemed just slightly lethargic one afternoon I immediately called the vet.

Here's what she said after his full exam: he has no apparent skin problems so the scratching is likely just stress, perfect weight range, a little tarter build up on his teeth but no gum issues, no organ issues, no apparent problems whatsoever except that he tested positive for FeLV and has a very low red blood cell count (anemia). He is presenting NO physical symptoms whatsoever. Anemia can be a result of a late-stage FeLV, but if that were the case, wouldn't he be exhibiting some kind of symptom? The marking and itching have been ruled out as just stress related.

Could it still be earlier enough in stage for him to overcome it? Could the anemia be due to something else and it's just coincidental?