Rach asked in PetsCats · 9 years ago

Will my cat overcome FeLV?

We adopted a 5 yo yorkie a few months ago. Around that time, our 4 yo cat kept finding ways to escape our backyard and come home beat up. Within a month of getting the dog, we cut down the tree the cat was climbing to escape, successfully confining him safely in our yard. This resulted in him beginning to spray all over the house. He would mark multiple times a day. We battled this for a few weeks before getting feliway. Shortly thereafter I noticed that he seemed to be developing a bald spot on his left shoulderblade. Turns out he kept scratching until there was a bald spot about the size of a quarter. I was getting concerned that this could be more than just stress from adapting to the new animal, so when he seemed just slightly lethargic one afternoon I immediately called the vet.

Here's what she said after his full exam: he has no apparent skin problems so the scratching is likely just stress, perfect weight range, a little tarter build up on his teeth but no gum issues, no organ issues, no apparent problems whatsoever except that he tested positive for FeLV and has a very low red blood cell count (anemia). He is presenting NO physical symptoms whatsoever. Anemia can be a result of a late-stage FeLV, but if that were the case, wouldn't he be exhibiting some kind of symptom? The marking and itching have been ruled out as just stress related.

Could it still be earlier enough in stage for him to overcome it? Could the anemia be due to something else and it's just coincidental?

Favorite Answer

Your cat is FeLv postive because YOU allowed it to free roam and it interacted with infected cats.

With most cats once infected they can live anywhere from a few months to a few more years. This disease attacks the white blood cells so its immunity is compromised and it can't fight off infections like other cats. Here's some info http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/felv.html

I do hope you're at least keep this cat indoors so it isn't continuing to infect other cats?

i've got purely heard of fake positives on kittens - no longer person cats. With person cats the prospect of survival is slightly larger yet nevertheless no longer that should. the concern with FeLV is that it destroys the white blood cells leaving the cat no longer able to combat off infections. So in spite of what drugs your cat provides on your cat's teetih, the an infection will regrettably maximum in all possibility get worth - and unfold. How did your cat get FeLV as an person? Did you enable him loose roam outdoors or usher in yet another cat that hadn't been examined? there's a shot you're turning out to be that should have given him approximately ninety% risk-free practices.

Was it the Western Blot test or the Elisa test? The Elisa is the quickie test that gives a result in 15 minutes, whereas the Western Blot has to go out to a lab for processing.

I believe you can get a false positive on the Elisa with FeLV, I know it's the same test used for FIV and there is a known 20% chance of false positives on the FIV side of the test with that one.

Best I can say is to sign up with a feline leukemia group over on YahooGroups, the owners there are well educated about the disease and all have cats who have it. They can answer your questions.