Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkEthnic Cuisine · 9 years ago

What is this cooking technique called with spoons?

you can use it for example when scoping sorbet or ice cream you roll it between two spoons and it makes an egg shape?

5 Answers

  • willa
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Best Answer

    In the dessert world , a quenelle is an elegant, football-shaped (can those 2 adjectives even go together?!) scoop of, well anything--ice cream, sorbet, whipped cream, creme fraiche, mousse.

    Here's how to do it, courtesy of Thomas Keller from his iconic The French Laundry Cookbook....

    “To make a one-spoon quenelle, you need a cup of very hot water, a spoon (whose bowl will determine the size of the quenelle), and whatever you’re ‘quenelling.’ Dip the spoon in the water so it’s hot. Hold the spoon with the rounded bottom up, place the far edge of the spoon into the mixture, with the near edge close to the surface but not touching, and drag the spoon toward you. The mixture you’re scraping should curl with the shape of the spoon. As you drag, twist your wrist up until the quenelle folds over itself into an egg shape. For the best shape, drag only once through the mixture; dip and clean your spoon for each new quenelle. It takes some practice.”

    Source(s): former pastry chef
  • prime
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

    Quenelle Spoon

  • Veena
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

    The technique you are speaking of is not really a method of cooking rather than just a step in the process of cooking. It is used when cooking meats that have a lot of fat, like duck breast. When you cook a duck breast, it renders off a lot of fat from the skin. You can take that fat and spoon it over the meat helping it stay moist and also helping render off a little more fat that may not have melted away from the meat. I hope this helps you out!

  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

    difficult issue. research on google and yahoo. that will could help!

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • quinelles (I'm not positive about the spelling)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.