Can I register a boat in tx that is not titled and I don't have a bill of sale b/c I traded for it?

Favorite Answer

No, ALL BOATS DON'T HAVE TITLES.

BUT, It is not a question of "Can I" register it, it is a question of "must I" register it, and the answer is YES YOU MUST!

You must register your boat in Texas unless your boat is a (NON-MOTERIZED) canoe, kayak, punt, rowboat, dinghy, or rubber raft (regardless of length) and is paddled, poled, or oared and sailboats under 14 feet in length when windblown.

In order to register your boat, you must have either a title from a previous owner & previous registration, OR a "Bill of Sale" and the Bill of Sale must contain:

The date of sale;

Sales price;

Description of the vessel and/or outboard motor (make, TX or serial number and year built);

Purchaser(s) name; and

Seller(s) signature.

So, whether your boat is a gift, a purchase, or a trade, you have to have a Bill of Sale, and you have to have it registered before you can legally use it.

Link below has all the details:

All boats have Titles even if U traded for it U should of gotten a titles so contact who U got it from and get it.

Call Texas parks and wildlife and they can answer this question for you. Look on the internet for their toll free number. It is listed under www.texasparksand wildlife.com