atvchick09 asked in PetsRodents · 9 years ago

Guinea pig what I need to buy?

I am most likely getting 2 male guinea pig brothers that were born October 24 2010 and I have never owned a guinea pig and I'm making a C&C cage and using towels and fleece as the bedding so what do I need to buy? and just general stuff on taking care of them like when and how many times a day I feed them veggies and all that thank you!

BQ I want to name 1 wrangler and should I name the other roper or cowboy? And any other suggestion that go with wrangler?

Update:

They will have plenty of room im getting a shelving set that comes with 20 grids and it will all be one level,and the 2 guinea pigs are brothers and are 3 months old and the person giving them to me said they get along great and have been kept together since birth.

Thanks everyone for helping I hope my dad will let me get them! :)

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Best Answer

Guinea pigs can live up to 8+ years if properly cared for. They should always be kept in pairs or groups(same sex or altered) indoors, in a cage with at least 7.5sq ft(10sq ft for males) on one level and daily floor time/handling, to be happy and healthy.

http://www.guineapigcages.com/

http://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm

They should have unlimited access to fresh water(no Vit C drops) and grass hay available at all times, 1/8-1/4 cup of plain guinea pig pellets(no coloured bits, nuts, seeds, or dried veggies) and 1 cup of fresh veggies per pig daily.

http://www.guinealynx.info/diet.html

http://www.guinealynx.info/diet_vegs.htm…

Same sex animals living together DO NOT need to be altered, it doesn't change behavior.

http://www.cavyspirit.com/neutering.htm

Check out these awesome guinea pig websites!

http://www.guinealynx.info/sitemap.html

http://www.cavyspirit.com/care.htm

Source(s): Owner to 4 guinea pigs(3 males and 1 female) http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy68/Ash-Ro678/... My cages (2 in each) http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy68/Ash-Ro678/...
  • 9 years ago

the cage and bedding sound fine. it's exactly what i use. i would cut a shower curtain in half and put it under the towels too, to catch any urine that soaks through the towels. they should have timothy hay and timothy hay pellets available 24/7, (Oxbow from Petsmart is best. they don't put any chemicals on their hay and they are the only brand i've found that actually cares about the animals they're feeding) and an unlimited supply of water in a bottle. they should each get about a cup of veggies each day. mine get a slice of tomato and a baby carrot in the morning, and a big leaf of lettuce and a suprise veggie at night. they also need vitamin C supplements. I use Oxbow vitamin c tablets from petsmart. they come in bottles of 90 tablets. it says to use one a day for each piggie, but they really only need 1/4 of a tablet every other day. i crush them to powder and put them on the tomato slice to make sure they eat all of it.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Make sure you have lots of fleece and for their kitchen have sawdust in there, Have lots of igloos and tubes that they can play in and make sure the c&c cage will be big enough for the both of them.

Then you need food, vegies, fruit, And a bit of hay for their teeth.

Nail clipper,Hair brush, Guinea pig shampoo Or Jhonsons baby shampoo! (I use that and it is perfect it smells nice and gives them a shiny coat:D)

Some toys as they may get bored during the day!

If you have a large garden and would like them to munch on some grass during the summer time why not by a run for them!?

You will need a water bottle/or disk and a food disk!

I like the name cowboy, But it your disicion and it will come to you when you spent time with him :D

Have fun with your guinea pigs:D!

Source(s): 2 male guinea pigs.
  • 9 years ago

Breeding Your Guinea Pigs:

Guinea pigs are rather easy to sex. If you pinch or squeeze the genital area the penis will extrude in young males. Adult males are quite obviously male. When I kept cavies, I was taught that female guinea pigs are fertile at as young as two months of age (55-70 days)! And that males mature slightly later.

However, a reader recently informed me that guinea pig females can become pregnant as early as three weeks of age and that males can be fertile as early as four weeks of age. I never separated males from females at so young an age and I have never observed pregnancies occurring so young but apparently this might happen. So play it safe and separate the males babies from the female babies as soon as you can determine their sex.

Female guinea pigs have estrus or fertile periods just after giving birth and periodically throughout the year. The length of their estrus cycle is sixteen and one-half days. They are fertile for 6-11 hours, usually beginning in the evening. They come into heat again shortly after birthing. Although female pigs are fertile at two months of age or earlier, they should not be breed until they are 4-5 month old and weigh a little over a pound. The male used should be about double her age to insure potency.

A bigger problem is breeding female guinea pigs for the first time when they are too old. At 7-12 month of age the female’s pelvic bones fuse, making natural delivery next to impossible. So guinea pigs of this age that are having a first litter often need it delivered by cesarean section (dystocia). Baby pigs arrive after a pregnancy of 60-70 days.

What Common Disease And Health Problems Do Guinea Pigs Have?

The most common illnesses I see in guinea pigs are pneumonia and hair loss associated with malnutrition (lack of vitamin C and other nutrients).

The second most common problem is the debility of old age.

The third is intestinal problems and diarrhea due to feeding a diet too rich in sugar, fruit, starches and carbohydrates.

The most common disease I find is newly purchased pigs at breeders and pet stores is Pasteurellosis. Pasteurellosis is caused by a bacterium, Pasteurella multocida that is present in some breeding colonies. It causes respiratory and eye infections as well as abscesses

The next most common disease is streptococcal infections. . Although pasteurella and streptococcus can be cured with antibiotics these antibiotics can be fatal to the guinea pig. Guinea pigs are notorious about handing antibiotics poorly.

Keep guinea pigs toenails clipped short every month with human toenail clippers. If you should accidentally cut one too short, push the nail firmly into a moistened bar of Ivory soap to stop the bleeding. Longhaired varieties may need occasional brushing. Use a slicker comb designed for Persian cats.

How Can I Choose A Healthy Guinea Pig?

When you purchase your guinea pig, be sure it appears healthy. Its eyes should be bright and clean, never crusty or lacking luster.

Check it’s nose, eyes, ears, and rear end to be sure it is free from any crusts, discharges, redness or inflammation. . The guinea pig should be alert and active, and plump. Its coat should be full and lustrous. Check its skin for flakes, and redness, and check carefully for parasites such as lice.

_Hope this info helps!! =)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Now that you have decided on a guinea pig as your pet you should have the cage and all the supplies necessary before bringing him home. This care sheet will guide you in having everything you need. Remember, guinea pigs are chewers so choose his home accordingly.

Habitat

You will need a cage with at least 2 sq are feet of space for each guinea pig being housed in it. Always go with the biggest cage possible for a happy pet. Do not use wire mesh for the cage flooring.

A substrate or bedding for the bottom of the cage. Make sure you avoid wood shavings.

A stoppered water bottle or ceramic water bowl. Remember you guinea pig will play in the bowl and soil the water so a bottle may be a better choice.

A hay rack for hanging leafy greens hay and grass to keep it clean and fresh.

A few wooden chew sticks or blocks plus some guinea pig toys. Your pet will love toys he can nibble on, climb over, push around and bump with his nose.

A hide area for your pet to spend private time resting and feeling secure.

Housing

Guinea pigs are social animals who prefer to live in small groups. If you keep two or more females together, they will become great friends. If you want two males, it’s smart to choose two babies from the same litter. Since guinea pigs, like all rodents, multiply rapidly, keeping males and females together is not recommended.

As a rule of thumb, you’ll need to provide a minimum of four square feet of cage space per guinea pig—but please try to get as large a cage as possible. You’ll need a solid-bottom cage—no wire floors, please, as they can irritate your pets’ feet. Plastic-bottom “tub cages” with wire tops also make great guinea pig homes. Never use a glass aquarium, due to the poor ventilation that it provides.

Always keep the cage indoors away from drafts and extreme temperatures, as guinea pigs are very susceptible to heatstroke. They’ll prefer an environment kept at 60 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

Line the bottom of the cage with aspen or hardwood shavings or some other form of safe bedding, such as grass hay. Do not use cedar or pine chips—the oils they contain can be dangerous to your pets. (P.S. Yes, you can train a guinea pig to use a litter box—but please note that this will require lots of time and patience!)

Guinea pigs love to hide when they play, so be sure to place cardboard tubes and/or empty coffee cans with smoothed edges in the enclosure for this purpose. Plastic pipes and flower pots are good, too, and bricks and rocks for climbing will be much appreciated. All guinea pigs need a cave for sleeping and resting, so please provide a medium-sized flower pot or covered sleeping box, readily available at pet supply stores.

Guinea Pig Supply Checklist

- Solid-bottom cage with wire cover or plastic-bottom “tub” cage (minimum four square feet of cage space per pig)

- Guinea pig pellets

- Aspen or hardwood shavings

- Grass hay

- Bricks, rocks, cardboard boxes, plastic pipes and other appropriate toys

- Medium flower pot or covered sleeping box

- Brush and comb for grooming

- Attachable water bottle with drinking tube

- Unpainted, untreated piece of wood or safe chew toy

General Care

Remove soiled bedding, droppings and stale food from the cage daily. Clean the cage completely once a week by replacing dirty bedding and scrubbing the bottom of the cage with warm water. Be sure everything’s dry before adding fresh bedding.

Did you know that guinea pigs’ teeth grow continuously, just like those of other rodents? That’s why it is important that you provide yours with something to gnaw on at all times. Branches and twigs from untreated trees will work, as will any small piece of wood that hasn’t been treated with chemicals.

It’s crucial that you get your pets used to you—and used to being handled. Start by feeding them small treats. When they’re comfortable with that, you can carefully pick up one pig at a time, one hand supporting the bottom, the other over the back.

Once you have hand-tamed your piggies, you should let them run around in a small room or enclosed area to get some additional exercise every day. You will need to carefully check the room for any openings from which the guinea pigs can escape, get lost and possibly end up hurt. These animals must be supervised when they are loose because they will chew on anything in their paths—including electrical wires.

Guinea pigs are very conscientious about grooming themselves, but brushing them on a regular basis will help keep their coat clean and remove any loose hairs. Long-haired guinea pigs should be brushed daily in order to prevent tangles and knots from forming.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.