How do you personally define "musician"?

What do YOU think makes a person a musician? Does it take a certain level of talent? Certain level of creativity? Does it have to do with writing music as a passion or can someone be a "musician" if they're only doing it for the money?

Can you give an example of someone you think epitomizes a musician and why?

Favorite Answer

I can't define it. I can't define "music", so I can't define who makes it.

1

Source(s): Work From Home Writing http://givitry.info/WritingJobsOnline

A musician is someone who is solely dedicated to doing what they do best: make music. Talent is just a gift, and it comes in all shapes and forms. It definitely doesn't define someone as a "musician". The creativity is not necessarily something that I'd define a musician as either... I could take the simplest song and find the most utmost beauty in it. Creative songs and basic songs are just working against one another, and you'll find that they are both so important to music.

The passion is what can define music as "real" and/or truthful. In my perspective, I look at passion as something I'd define a musician as. The dedication and such... it all works as one to portray someone's innermost thoughts into these sounds, onto these albums. Hearing a "musician" make songs without soul is just a disgrace in every sense...

Musicians are real, and they're dedicated. Creativity is subjective, as is talent. Those added bonuses make the musicians [i]great[/i] musicians :)

There are two sides to being a musician. One of them is talent. This is how good someone is at playing/writing. The other is creativity and passion. If someone can bleed their heart out through music and make people feel things then they're a good musician. Music should have nothing to do with money. If someone writes music just to make money they shouldn't even be playing. Money making is just somthing that could happen while playing music and should'nt be thought of when writing. I feel that Rush is a perfect example of a band that epitomizes a musician because they write all of their music without caring what people think, or what is in the mainstream. When they play music they do it for their own personal high.

• spargo

Musician Definition

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Can you give an example of someone you think...

Source(s): personally define quot musician quot: https://biturl.im/ca3Le

Hard question, but at the very least is someone who plays an instrument or sings (an audio technician or sampler can't be called musicians in my opinion, because they do not create music). I'd say there should be some level of proficiency involved in the term. It might include someone who writes songs, but I don't see that as definitive. A beginner musician should be called that, an amateur or hobbyist should be called that. A musician is, I think, a profession.

I do agree that a musician should aim to be an artist as well; meaning, he or she should create some of the music he/ she's playing. Even in covers, a musician could well have the ability to modify the original song to his/her own tastes. The thing is to give some feel to the playing, otherwise is purely technical and can't be considered artistic. In my opinion. Besides, music is an art, and an art is used to express oneself. So, a musician should seek to express him/ herself with the music.

Still, it is hard to come up with one answer for this. I guess the definition depends on the person.

Source(s): Not a musician, but an amateur musician.
  • Adam

I honestly don't buy into the whole 'a musician needs to have talent, creativity, and write their own music' thing... as long as they are somehow making the music, I consider them a musician. Someone could be banging on pots and pans and make an album out of it, I call them a musician.

I think the only qualification that I need to call someone a musician, is the intent to make music for a purpose. Let me explain, if I'm bored one day in class and I start making a song with my pencil on my desk (Which happens a lot =P) I wouldn't call myself a musician because there's nothing behind it. But, if I was to make an album of me banging a pencil on a desk... then I would be able to call myself a musician... although not too sure who would actually buy that :P

Anyone that plays an instrument with at least some degree of skill.

Yeah, John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin. Great Bassist, also plays anything with Keys as well as anyone, plays Banjo, Mandolin, Sitar, Mellotron, can conduct an orchestra. That's a real musician.

Hi meep meep!

I don't have very many hoops for would-be musicians to hop through before I will grant them that title... if you make music ~ any music at any level ~ you may call yourself a musician in my eyes.

Same with writers. You don't have to be published or even any good. You perform the act and get a sense of satisfaction from expressing yourself artistically ~ you're there.

Source(s): I'm easy ;-) (don't tell anyone~ thx)

Someone who can play an instrument basically. but it helps if they play more than 1 instrument, are a Professional at an instrument, write music, or have been playing for years.

Like I consider myself a musician, because I play 10 instruments, and I'm very good at one and have been playing for 7 years.