Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Tips on Custom PC Gaming Build?

I'm building a computer for the first time, and after a ton of researching these are the part i've come up with. It is going to be used as a Gaming computer(I hope to run games like COD and GTAIV), as well as for video editing with programs (such as After Affects and Sony Vegas)

Will these fit together?

And are there any better parts that I can substitute in without a large increase in price?

Thanks a lot. Specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 920

ASRock 870 EXTREME3

HIS Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM

Antec earthwatts EA500 500W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.2 80 PLUS

Acer G215H Abd 21.5"

Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower

ASUS Black DVD Burner

I will be grateful for any help by an experienced PC builder

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Line by line:

AMD Phenom II X4 920 <<<<<<< According to ASRock's website, the 870 EXTREME3 does not support this processor. But even if it did, I'd say go with the AMD Phenom II X6 1055T instead. It's worth the extra $60.

ASRock 870 EXTREME3 <<<<<<< Looks good. Thumbs up for USB 3.0 support.

HIS Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB <<<<<<< Sufficient for a budget gaming machine. You'll probably be left wanting to upgrade it at some point, though.

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache <<<<<<< Samsung drives have a slightly higher reported failure rate than Western Digital. Overall, they're pretty good for the money, though.

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM <<<<<<< G.SKILL is a reputable brand in gaming circles. You didn't specify which specific model this is, so I can't comment on the memory latencies. Be sure you have a 64-bit OS.

Antec earthwatts EA500 500W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.2 80 PLUS <<<<<<< Contrary to popular belief, you don't really need a 750+ PSU for a single-GPU gaming rig. The most important (and largely undocumented) specification of a power supply is that of the maximum combined wattage on 12V rail output, which is very good with all of the Antec EarthWatts models. Combined 12V is 408W on this model.

Also, for future reference, power supplies degrade in output with years age. Cheaper power supplies (not this Antec here, but others) will often manipulate their specifications to try and fool people who think they know a thing or two about computers, too. 12V1@25A+12V2@25A does /not/ equal 12v50A. You can /only/ rely on the COMBINED 12V "max load", and some less reputable manufacturers will dodge even listing this on their labels. When in doubt, use an Ohm's calculator, add up the 5V+3.3V, and then subtract them from the total amount of watts. Consider the remainder as being your max combined 12V, which is the most important output because it is what your processor and graphics card primarily use in an ATX system. You'll be very surprised to see how many of those "600W" power supplies are no more powerful than their 350W counterparts. Moreover, a lot of the graphics card manufacturers are keen on this because it causes warranty failures in a hurry, so they'll grossly inflate the "power supply requirements" of their cards accordingly. You can learn about the actual wattage consumption by Googling around for benchmarks, then use an Ohm's calculator to convert it into 12V amps.

Acer G215H Abd 21.5" <<<<<<< I always recommend against buying LCD monitors online. (1) There's no objective way to evaluate image quality without seeing it in person, and (2) most online vendors won't let you RMA a monitor unless it has more than 8-10 dead pixels, whereas brick and mortar vendors usually are willing to do no-questions-asked refunds as a matter of routine.

Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower <<<<<<< Cases are nothing more than eye candy in my books. If you like the way it looks and the reviews don't say something gut wrenching, then go for it.

ASUS Black DVD Burner <<<<<<< You didn't specify a model number here, so I can't comment on this unit specifically. ASUS makes lots of different black DVD burners. In general, though, DVD burners seldom vary in quality. You may want to pick one with LightScribe support instead, because the difference in cost is usually only $3 or $4.

As a final note, look through NewEgg's combo deals. Sometimes you can save $50 or more without even changing parts. For example, the ASRock 870 EXTREME3 and HIS Radeon HD 5770 currently have a combined discount of $15.00 if you dig down in the combo menu.

Source(s): System builder
  • 1 decade ago

Everything is good but go with a 750 watt power supply instead of 500 watt because on heavy gaming with todays graphics cards they'll use alot power so 750 watt would be the best to use so everything runs fine and has good voltage.

Antec earthwatts make good power supply so go with them or use cooler master brand. So look for 750 watt power supply.

• 1 decade ago

Here's a question for recent builders (im curious myself lol) the board is am3 and the processor is am2+. I'm thinking that would work but I havent built any rigs that new (i wish i had lol)

• ?
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Looks good so far apart from your RAM, Graphics Cards and your processor.

I would suggest these parts in addition to the rest

Graphics Card: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Sapphire-Radeon-HD-6870-Vid...

RAM: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Kingston-HyperX-6GB-GB-DDR3...

Processor: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Intel-Quad-Core-i7-930-2-80...

Source(s): Experience
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.