Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 10 years ago

Have not filed 2009 taxes!?

What will happen since I am now late and did not request any extensions. Long story short, I was deployed for half of 2009 and then PCSed overseas in 2010, hence I have not filed yet and it is now 2011. Since I was deployed to a tax free zone in 2009 and my W2 shows earnings of only $19k, I should not owe, but what will happen when I do file since I will be late? Thank you.

Favorite Answer

So?

If you were in a combat zone, your deadlines are extended. If the date becomes an issue, put combat zone and the dates at the top of your return. (2009 isn't an issue until 2013)

$19K is still $19K. Whether or not you owe will depend on the amount withheld. if you don't owe, no problem.

No problem. There is special consideration for those who serve our country in the armed forces.

If you are serving in a combat zone or in a contingency operation (or are hospitalized as a result of an injury received while serving in such an area or operation), you have at least 180 days after you leave the designated combat zone/contingency operation to file and pay taxes. See Publication 3, Armed Forces' Tax Guide.

• ?

Nothing happens if you do not owe any tax. Down load 2009 forms, fill them out and mail them in

You only are charged a penalty if you owe

I did read the irs might charge 100 but I have not seen it in the IRS site.