Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 10 years ago

Have not filed 2009 taxes!?

What will happen since I am now late and did not request any extensions. Long story short, I was deployed for half of 2009 and then PCSed overseas in 2010, hence I have not filed yet and it is now 2011. Since I was deployed to a tax free zone in 2009 and my W2 shows earnings of only $19k, I should not owe, but what will happen when I do file since I will be late? Thank you.

3 Answers

  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer


    If you were in a combat zone, your deadlines are extended. If the date becomes an issue, put combat zone and the dates at the top of your return. (2009 isn't an issue until 2013)

    $19K is still $19K. Whether or not you owe will depend on the amount withheld. if you don't owe, no problem.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 10 years ago

    No problem. There is special consideration for those who serve our country in the armed forces.

    If you are serving in a combat zone or in a contingency operation (or are hospitalized as a result of an injury received while serving in such an area or operation), you have at least 180 days after you leave the designated combat zone/contingency operation to file and pay taxes. See Publication 3, Armed Forces' Tax Guide.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • ?
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

    Nothing happens if you do not owe any tax. Down load 2009 forms, fill them out and mail them in

    You only are charged a penalty if you owe

    I did read the irs might charge 100 but I have not seen it in the IRS site.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.