Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Why are most of the billboard signs in Laredo Texas a town of 300,00 people) in Spanish?

Also, What are the ramifications for the republican party in the state of Texas now that Hispanics make up over 40% of the states population?

What do you make of cities like McAllen, Brownsville, Harlingen, Laredo, El Paso, Corpus Christi, El Paso, and San Antonio, where most people in the aforementioned major cities do not speak English? Does this help the republican party?

Favorite Answer

In the 1840s, the US took over more than half of what used to be Mexico. In fact it was the better half. At that time we signed a treaty (The Treaty of Guadeloupe Hidalgo, look it up) that promised the Mexicans now living in the US could keep their language, their customs, and their Catholic religion. From that time on, throughout the Far West and Southwest, there have been neighborhoods in most big cities, and whole towns, where Spanish was the major language. It's nothing new.

The thing is, most Spanish-speaking Americans, their families have been here longer than yours and mine have. Immigrants who move here from Spanish-speaking countries, ALL of their children learn English, in fact 75% of the children of immigrants don't speak a single word of the old language (which actually I think is a shame). The people who speak Spanish generation after generation are the old families who have been here since the early 19th century.

As it happens today, Hispanic populations are growing rapidly in the West and Southwest. Many whites are very nervous about this, about the prospect of becoming 'minorities' in their own neighborhoods. In California we 'Anglos' are already in the minority. Conservative whites are afraid if Hispanics become the majority, they will be treated as badly by them as they treated them when they were the minority. So conservative politicians can get peoples' attention and score points by posturing anti-immigrant. But the rise in minority populations is not really due to just immigration. Hispanics, blacks, and Asians just traditionally have bigger families.

Spanish billboards are okay. They are just not talking to -you-. 8^) Businesses and companies that want to do business with EVERYONE try to reach out to all major groups, so the same billboard will appear somewhere else (in white neighborhoods) in English.

I am the only person answering your question that lives in Laredo, Texas. I can both speak, read, and write English better than most of the population of the US. My daughter in law's Hispanic family has been in Texas since before America was a country. Most of the billboards in Laredo are in English, with a few in Spanish. The road signs are all English except for 2 on the way out of town giving directions to the tourist bureau. MOST of the people here speak English and Spanish, with a portion speaking only Spanish, and a tiny portion speaking only English. The schools are in English. You also added 100,000 people to our population! I am sorry for not answering your question, but perhaps you should do some research before you ask incorrect questions.

Source(s): Thanks to Becca and Mr. Smartypants for their well thought out answers. I have been a resident of Laredo for the last 27 years. My "bragging" about my English skills is firmly backed up by test results, I am just trying to make a point about the language here.

Interesting that you ask. We have been trying to secure our Border but if we do then President Obama will file a law suit just like he did against Arizona. Houston has a huge Mexican population but many are here LEGAL and they do not like the fact that illegals get to come free and not get in line like they had to. The State has their hands tied. It is all about votes for the Democrats if they allow amnesty. The voter fraud is ridiculous so I hope they pass a the voter I.D. bill.

It is like living in little Mexico down here. Keep in mind though Texas is a BIG state and we still have more conservatives than liberals. Liberals all live in the inner cities.

Does it help NO, but then again Houston is bankrupted because of their out of control spending and when people start getting those higher bills they are going to be peod and then we may get a conservative for a mayor. Thank goodness I do not live in the city.

Obviously you have no clue what living in a border state is like. We tried to clear things up using current laws but the government has tied our hands. Something needs done, this isn't multiculturalism it is invasion.

Yep say goodbye republicans!! haha I can't wait. I switched my position on immigration just so more immigrants will have a chance at the American dream by voting against the racist repugs.

Hmm, maybe because it was Mexican land originally until the USA did an Israel and annnexed it? Or do they still teach you that the USA won that land fair and square?

Because political elects do not respect the country they actually live in--just like our current President!

• N

Because someone paid for them to be in Spanish.

You do like freedom of speech and a free market, right?

If you can see Mexico from your home its probably very crappy to begin with

Yeah, diversity sure is a terrible thing huh?

Go back in your 15th century cave.