Does it matter if you believe in Hinduism but still are sikh?

Does it matter if u believe in sikhism and hinduism, as they both believe in one same thing - reincarnation?

For example, if one worship say maa durga, but also worships guru nanak, then do they get ignored, or do they still get blessed, and what happens about heaven/hell?

plz answer if u no, coz i'm so confused

thankz

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It depends what you call believing. You can bow to any one but there is no deva equal to Guru. Guru Nanak says, " Those people who worship someone else other than God, consider them drowned in the world ocean."

Purpose of preachings by a great man is to enlighten mankind not make followers. You can satisfy yourself by bowing but True Guru or True Saint is pleased if you follow the path shown by him. Bowing has no meaning if we ignore his commands. Guru nanak in asa dee war mentioned that hunter bow twice for hunting.

Regarding Durga or Bhawani there is quotation in Guru Granth Sahib. Interesting point here is this shabad belongs to Baba Namdev and he is saying Gita also says the same thing.

ਤੂ ਕਹੀਅਤ ਹੀ ਆਦਿ ਭਵਾਨੀ ॥

तू कहीअत ही आदि भवानी ॥

Ŧū kahī▫aṯ hī āḏ bẖavānī.

You are called the Primal Goddess.

ਮੁਕਤਿ ਕੀ ਬਰੀਆ ਕਹਾ ਛਪਾਨੀ ॥੪॥

मुकति की बरीआ कहा छपानी ॥४॥

Mukaṯ kī barī▫ā kahā cẖẖapānī. ||4||

At the time of liberation, where will you hide then? ||4||

ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮ ਗਹੁ ਮੀਤਾ ॥

गुरमति राम नाम गहु मीता ॥

Gurmaṯ rām nām gahu mīṯā.

Follow the Guru's Teachings, and hold tight to the Lord's Name, O friend.

ਪ੍ਰਣਵੈ ਨਾਮਾ ਇਉ ਕਹੈ ਗੀਤਾ ॥੫॥੨॥੬॥

प्रणवै नामा इउ कहै गीता ॥५॥२॥६॥

Paraṇvai nāmā i▫o kahai gīṯā. ||5||2||6||

Thus prays Naam Dayv, and so says the Gita as well. ||5||2||6||

http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.gurbani?A...

Regarding devis and devas gurbani says

ਦੇਵੀ ਦੇਵਾ ਮੂਲੁ ਹੈ ਮਾਇਆ ॥

देवी देवा मूलु है माइआ ॥

Ḏevī ḏevā mūl hai mā▫i▫ā.

The source, the root, of the gods and goddesses is Maya.

ਸਿੰਮ੍ਰਿਤਿ ਸਾਸਤ ਜਿੰਨਿ ਉਪਾਇਆ ॥

सिम्रिति सासत जिंनि उपाइआ ॥

Simriṯ sāsaṯ jinn upā▫i▫ā.

For them, the Simritees and the Shaastras were composed.

ਕਾਮੁ ਕ੍ਰੋਧੁ ਪਸਰਿਆ ਸੰਸਾਰੇ ਆਇ ਜਾਇ ਦੁਖੁ ਪਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੨॥

कामु क्रोधु पसरिआ संसारे आइ जाइ दुखु पावणिआ ॥२॥

Kām kroḏẖ pasri▫ā sansāre ā▫e jā▫e ḏukẖ pāvṇi▫ā. ||2||

Sexual desire and anger are diffused throughout the universe. Coming and going, people suffer in pain. ||2||

http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.gurbani?A...

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

first of all, not one of the Sikh Guru's have been Hindus. Sikhism is a thoroughly distinctive faith from Hinduism and is no longer a "sect" of that faith. in fact, the 1st Guru, Guru Nanak Dev ji, rejected lots of the ideals of hindus. Secondly, Singh stands for lion. Singh and Kaur are the identify given to Sikhs as quickly as having been baptized into the Sikh faith, so Sikhs and Singhs at the instant are not possibly distinctive. wish I helped : )

• ssrvj
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

If "they both believe in one same thing"--then why there should be Hinduism and Sikhism?

In all Dhaarmic Religions-Hinduism,Buddhism,Jainism and Sikhism--there are certain "commonalities" and "Important" variations"--it is why they are different Religions .

• 10 years ago

hinduism allows you to follow your own spiritual paths, lots of hindus follow islam or Christean path.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.