Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 9 years ago

How do i remove Swirl marks?

I have a red 2006 mustang and i have swirls on the whole car. i was told it was from taking it in automatic car washes. they are such an eye sore. i want them gone.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • roger
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

there is no way to asses this just from your description, it can be easily cut and buffed at a professional detail shop for 150 to 175 which should include a detail of the interior. Basically it needs to be polished professionally and then waxed, But get a professional opinion.

Without seeing them its difficult to tell if its from a car wash, but not using a lot of water (I use a five gallon bucket, a soft brush, or a sheepskin type mitt dip it in water often to remove dirt particles, 3 or 4 gallons of water will allow the dirt to sink to the bottom, and use a car wash type soap to wash the car with. I rinse, and always take my car for a short drive after washing, this seems to dry it fine, and is cheaper and less hassle than buying special towels and having to clean and wash them later.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Your car will need a good buff job to remove the swirl marks. It's hard to say how aggressive to be without seeing the car in person. If you're lucky all you will need is a swirl mark removing compound used with a foam buffing pad and then some hand glaze followed by a coat of wax. If they are severe enough you might have to start out with a more aggressive compound first.

If you have no idea how to properly buff a car you will be better off taking it to a professional or you will make the swirls worse.

Source(s): 20 years experience in collision repair. ASE master certified collision repair/refinish technician.
  • Bud
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

DON"T try a pressure washer it could peel the paint or weather strips.

Meguires makes swirl mark remover.You can do it by hand, but it's best to buy an ORBITAL BUFFER,not a rotary buffer. The orbital buffer($50.00 ) at Sears.will make that pony shine like new in about two hours then wax it. Read the info on the buffer

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

It could be wax build up. Try a pressure washer to remove the wax, If you re wax it properly, the swirls may go away.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.