Anonymous

who thinks the confederate flag represents racism?

i think so because it represented the segregated south and they didnt like non whites so i think it is racist what are ur points on the confederate flag and do u think it is racist or no?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

The confederate flag represents racism. There is no argument about that. Some people want to think it stands for the south pride or something of the sort. But they are just trying to change the meaning of it, when they weren't the ones who invented or even carried it. Wishful thinking on their part. But it is what stands for and they can't change the meaning. So when the drive around with it on their trucks on the top of their hood DUKES AND HAZZARD style, its just saying to me STAY AWAY FROM THE RACIST AND IGNORANT FOOLS who has no clue about the history of his country!

Source(s): Okay seriously, wikipedia just to people they tried to change the meaning of it. No its the same flag same meaning. I was meant for the south who tried to keep slavery and other things that made them richer and enslave black people. The whole concept is messed up. Unless you can show a confederate flag before the civil war that meant something different. It means racism. White people are always trying to get one over on you, i swear!
  • 9 years ago

There were several flags of the Confederate States of America used during its existence from 1861 to 1865. Since the end of the American Civil War, personal and official use of Confederate flags, and of flags derived from these, has continued under some controversy.

A rectangular variant of the battle flag used by some Confederate Army Units, now called "The Confederate Flag" or "The Confederate Battle Flag", despite its never having historically represented the CSA as a nation, has become a widely recognized symbol of the South. It is also called the "rebel", or "Dixie" flag, and is often incorrectly referred to as the "Stars and Bars" (the actual "Stars and Bars" is the First National Flag, which used an entirely different design).

During the first half of the 20th century the Confederate flag enjoyed renewed popularity. During World War II some U.S. military units with Southern nicknames, or made up largely of Southerners, made the flag their unofficial emblem. The USS Columbia (CL-56) flew a Confederate Navy Ensign as a battle flag throughout combat in the South Pacific in World War II. This was done in honor of Columbia, the ship's namesake and the capital city of South Carolina, the first state to secede from the Union. Some soldiers carried Confederate flags into battle. After the Battle of Okinawa a Confederate flag was raised over Shuri Castle by a Marine from the self-styled "Rebel Company" (Company A of the 1st Battalion, 5th Marines). It was visible for miles and was taken down after three days on the orders of General Simon B. Buckner, Jr. (son of Confederate general Simon Buckner), who stated that it was inappropriate as "Americans from all over are involved in this battle". It was replaced with the flag of the United States.[19] By the end of World War II, the use of the Confederate flag in the military was rare.[

It's not only about racism...

• 4 years ago

I have been trying to research this: I remember reading that the symbol which became the confederate flag was a part of one state flag or one state seal, pre-civil war. If true, it had a previous history.

The Swastika is an ancient Buddhist symbol, rolling in the alternate direction. Unfortunately, Hitler saw the symbol on an iron fence, liked it, and usurped it forever to signify...... pure evil.

I think that the confederate flag will always, always be a symbol of racism, even if it had innocent origins prior to 1861.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

I think it does today because of groups like the KKK and those similar because of what they made it represent. If you deeply study American history, you'll find that the purpose of the civil war was to keep our country united while the south wished to secede. The fight to end slavery was what people chose to remember it as so that the war would have been for a more noble cause. Lincoln was opposed to slavery, yes, but his priorities was to keep the country together

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

For me it does represent heritage. It's unfortunate that some groups have taken it up as their standard, effectively turning into a symbol of racism.

@Dancemoves: It didn't exist before the civil war because up to that point there was no need for it, since secession hadn't occurred yet... Occam's razor dude.

• 9 years ago

i do

b/c part of the segregation btwn states occured over the issue of slavery, thus by endorsing the flag it seems like ur endorsing slavery and thus racism....that's just how it looks rather it's true or not

• 9 years ago

of course it is ..cause theres no mid west flag , west flag or northeast flag..just one american flag and since the Confederate flag represented the sovereignty of the then confederate south who's ppl were 100% for slavery

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

I don't think it does but some people use it to represent thier own racist beliefs or groups.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Not me but a lot of times it does.

Does a clenched fist in the air always represent black power?

• 9 years ago

I think that it represents regional pride.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.