Do I need his permission to move out of province? If the parenting order says I have to "inform" him.?

We went to mediation and he basically agreed to whatever I wanted. But he only see's our son maybe once a month for a couple days. And as for child support its pretty much non existent I think last time was Nov $150when we agreed on 300. But I have the opportunity to move to BC from AB to be closer to my boyfriends family who I have 2 children with.

• AZD²
    Favorite Answer

If all it says is that you have to inform him not get permission then probably not but it will give him a chance to challenge the move in court so be ready for that~

It's very important that you don't take advice from the people on here when it comes to this particular question. The reason is, is they are not lawyers from your country and have not read the entire parenting order. Not because they aren't knowledgeable, but because this is a legal question that could get you in a lot of trouble if not done properly.

You need to contact an attorney and have them look over the order and tell you what the law books say on the subject. In the United States, each and every state has their own laws that differ from the other states. I have no way of knowing if that happens in Canada or not, and I doubt many on here know either.

Save yourself a lot of trouble and have an attorney look it over, that is in your area, and go by their advice. Many in the US give free consultations, might be the same up there too? Or ask them how much a consult is. You really won't need anything more than a consultation. I doubt it would cost much if anything. You should also ask the attorney what you can do to make certain you get the child support you should be getting. Here, in the US, they have a department that handles child support. If someone isn't paying their child support, you contact the department and they go after the guy to make certain he pays. Any tax refunds can be taken and given to the mother, and sometimes their drivers license is taken away or even jail time. It's worth looking into. 300 a month isn't enough for child support at all and you should look into getting that upped once you know where to go for help on that subject.

• Gary B

In the United States, you need THE JUDGES permission to move out of state with your children.

the purpose of "notifying" him is to allow him to have time to contact the court and make an official request that you STAY WHERE YOU ARE. if he does not respond, to teh request in 30 days, then you can move where you want.

Moving to find a new job is usually allowed. Moving because you got marrreid and your spouse has a new job is allowed. Moving to be with a boyfriend is NOT allowed.

• Lisa

You NEED his permission, if that's what the order says. If you break the rules set out in the Order, you could lose custody of your children as well as the child support payments you receive. You need to get permission, or there could be serious repercussions.

Source(s): I'm a legal assistant in AB. This is what I do for a living.

You need his permission. This all will have to be done legally/in writing. You will need to see a lawyer about this one and it might go to court so be prepared. As for the child support, all you need to do is inform the agency of where he works and they will handle guaranteeing his wages.

• beeb

If the papers don't say he needs to approve a move or a judge gets to decide, then you need to give him 30 day notice (for him to take you to court if he is against it) and after that, I'm sure you can go whenever you please. Follow what your custody papers say exactly. And you can call the police if he isn't paying child support. Idk what the custody battles are like in Canada but I'm sure its almost the same thing.

Source(s): Married to the military
  • Maxi

You need to inform him and my advice is do it nicely and calmly and don't get into a fight about it, so you are more likely to get his permission, which saves lots of bad feeling 'sandwich the information something nice, moving then something nice ( like we have to agree to time/vacation so you can see your child)..............if he disagrees then it would be up to him to go back to court and if he is not paying what you both agreed he would he is unlikely he will go back to court.............as he will be shown up as not such as good parent,not seeing his child and not supporting his child................so he is more likely to get the DJ increasing his child support than getting you to stay............................

To be sure there aren't going to be any problems ask the court that way he can not come back and accuse you any wrong doing.

Also remember to tell them that he did agree to this.

Take Care.