? asked in Education & ReferenceTrivia · 10 years ago

Was Rumpelstiltskin a cannibal?

I read it in school and Rumpelstiltskin says he will be doing some baking the SAME day she would have to give him the baby. D: I found this story pretty disturbing.

Favorite Answer

No, because Rumpelstiltskin was a goblin, and the baby was human. You can only be a cannibal if you eat the flesh of the same race as you.

If the baby had been a goblin baby, Rumpelstiltskin would be a cannibal. If he were human, he would be a cannibal. But for a goblin (or even a gnome as some varients of the story insist), he isn't a cannibal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumpelstiltskin#Name_...

i remember him, didnt remember that he was baking.

ive gotta c if i have that story.

didnt think he was a cannibal altho i wondered why he wanted the baby...

'To-day I bake, to-morrow brew,

the next I'll have the young queen's child.

Ha, glad am I that no one knew

that Rumpelstiltskin I am styled.'

gosh. never made the connection. when i read it as a young child, i just assumed he was going 2 raise it as his own bcuz he was lonely.

now uve got me wondering...naaah. im not gonna let my childhood innocence go....(-:

• holly

No, as I remember it..in return for his help, he wanted the baby as a reward.

I often end up posting the same question on other sites