Why do conservatives claim tithe money is the same as charity?

However, using tithe money accountings is not equivalent for the purpose of tracking party charity statistics as tracking true charitable donations. This is like me saying I give money to charity because I buy products that give 5 percent of the proceeds to a charity. It is nonsense.

As I said before it is nonsense. Tithing is not a choice if you belong to a church. However, charity by definition has to be something that is voluntary.

Pretty lame attempt at an insult. But when I give my money away to charities I actually make sure at least 90% goes to the cause. I do not claim nonsense like church payments to be charity, and I do belong to a church so I could if claim it does if I were as dishonest as some conservatives.

Best Answer

This is a rather weak attempt to attempt to explain away the comparative generosity of conservatives, which extends beyond giving money. Consider the finding of Dr. Arthur Brooks of Syracuse (an independent):

-- Although liberal families' incomes average 6 percent higher than those of conservative families, conservative-headed households give, on average, 30 percent more to charity than the average liberal-headed household ($1,600 per year vs. $1,227).

-- Conservatives also donate more time and give more blood.

-- Residents of the states that voted for John Kerry in 2004 gave smaller percentages of their incomes to charity than did residents of states that voted for George Bush.

-- Bush carried 24 of the 25 states where charitable giving was above average.

-- In the 10 reddest states, in which Bush got more than 60 percent majorities, the average percentage of personal income donated to charity was 3.5. Residents of the bluest states, which gave Bush less than 40 percent, donated just 1.9 percent.

-- People who reject the idea that "government has a responsibility to reduce income inequality" give an average of four times more than people who accept that proposition.

• JustMe

Where do you get the idea that tithing isn't a choice? It is a choice. No one is holding a gun to our heads telling us to tithe. No one is attempting to make us feel guilty if we don't tithe. So where do you get the idea that we don't have a choice? Unless you simply don't go to church and have no idea what you're talking about.

Why do liberals claim it's right to take what little we have and give it to whomever [they] deem to be the charity? Isn't that called Socialism? Socialism forced charitable giving is just that, FORCED GIVING.

Source(s): EDIT: Amazing, I don't think I've ever seen someone so self absorbed as you and they still call themself a Christian. If you really are, I suggest you have a talk with your Pastor about tithing. Or maybe a church elder. Because what you're spouting off in here is a joke. Talk about someone having a holier than thou attitude. No one is insulting you but you. I'll pray for you because it's very obvious that you need it.

The majority of churches fund their community programs with tithe money. Otherwise, no one else will fund it.

They help both charities in the nation and abroad.

Edit: What's nonsense is someone attempting to demonize a tithe. Or the people who are offering. Odds are if people are giving money via tithe, they're also supporting local Red Crosses, Salvation Armies, consignment shops, Shriners, St. Judes, or anything else. Stingy people do not tithe.

Edit #2: That's quite an attitude for someone who attends church. You don't rebuke people on a message board. Your pride nullifies your argument. You're far too conceited with your opinion, not fact. God demanded 10% for a reason and it wasn't a "payment," it was to help the church and to help others.

The 10% tithe is given away free and no strings attached to help others/the poor and to and pay the churche bills: electricity, water, building and leaders wages etc. To pay for Bibles given away free.

We want to contribute to have a good place to worship.

Source(s): It is a great blessing to cheerfully give to help others-generously. Christians give all the time, just not money, but time,too.
  • Alex

Because some of the tithe money often finds it's way to charity.

We don't. Our tithe is just returning 10% of what God gave us to the Church. For us Christians, Charity is reacting out to other needs in the community beyond our tithing.

• Alco

Christians do more charitable work than anyone else on the planet. Fact. Catholic Charities in my city does trmendous amount of work to house and feed the homeless.

Source(s): It is what it is. You can't change the truth.

Faith is of God, the church is of man

I grew up with church collection plates. Churches today are run like socialist governments, trying to dictate the lives of and tax their members.

Of course membership is voluntary whereas you have no choice with government tax.

• ?

Say what? All the polls say conservatives give much more to charity than liberals. Ask Joe Biden.

Because it IS a charity.

EDIT: Most churches do a lot of good, both for their members and the community at large. You should check out the good most do before you start hating.