Why has New York only been able to build two skyscrapers taller than the Empire State Building from the 1930's?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Lack of interest? I don't know what you want anyone to say on the subject but building very tall skyscrapers isn't exactly a game. Whole blocks had to be cleared to build the World Trade Center. There was a lot of controversy.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

The city doesn't build skyscrapers. Businesses do. They need a practical reason to do so based in solid financial justification for doing so. The prestige alone of building a skyscraper taller than the Empire State Building is not one of these financial justifications.

• 9 years ago

It is not a matter of ability. It is a matter of need. The building is so tall because one billionaire was trying to outdo another in a different part of the country. Today, with the "net" and money controlled television, there are a lot more ways to show off.

• 3 years ago

they may be smart to say no one in each and every of those race and attempt to construct the main smart and the main architecturally stunning platforms, no longer the tallest. Racing to construct the tallest on the fee of practicality form of skill that one is compensating for a small penis.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • I would say practicality - just because one can build higher, doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea.

I am glad, though, that the Freedom Tower will be 1,776 feet tall. They need to get it done, though!

• 9 years ago

Probably because of the costs associated with such an endeavor. Oh, that and the lack of available space. Have you been to NYC lately? Where would they build anything else?

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Better question why did the rest of the world take 50 years to top us?

• 9 years ago

are you searching for some kind of anti-American theme here?

I'll have to burst your bubble---the current tallest buildings in the world, all in Asia, were built by US architectural and engineering firms.

http://burj-khalifa.eu/featured/chicago-architectu...

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

cost benifit analysis bud. We don't need a huge phalus like some other places around the world to prove our potency bro.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Government regulations which are choking this country to death. Why do you think ground zero is still a hole ten years later?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.