Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsWeather · 1 decade ago

Given barometric pressure in mm Hg and Temperature in K, how significant is a change in actual pressure?

I took a barometric reading to be 758 mm Hg at 69 F or 293.5 K. I want to convert this to pascals but most mm Hg conversions are done with temperature at 32 F or 273 K. Is this temperature difference significant enough to alter the converted pressure in pascals?

Favorite Answer

My calculator gives me 101,058 Pascal or, as the ISA requests it: 1010.58 hPa.

I fail to understand why you involve the temperature that has nothing to do with the pressure in a not contained atmosphere. Furthermore, I don't understand you 32 F (0 C). If you want to use a standard temperature, the ISA gives 15 C (59 F) as the average temperature on earth at sea level. That, together with 1013.25 hPa as pressure at sea level and 0.65 C per 100 meters (3F per 1,000 ft) as lapse rate, is the International Standard Atmosphere on which all instruments, especially aviation ones, are calibrated for. I hope it helps.