What caused false Negative pregnancy tests?

I took a pregnancy test about five weeks ago, because the IUD I was using for birth control decided it didn't want to be inside me anymore. Anyways the test was negative, I then had some massive bleeding that lasted for about two weeks. I went to the ER a few nights ago with flu symptom was given a pregnancy test which came back positive, then an ultrasound and was told I was much further along then 5 weeks. The baby in the image was definitely fully formed and I began feeling kicking today, so based on comparison to pictures online I'm assuming I'm at least 12 weeks along, if not further. What would cause the false negative previously? Real causes nothing disrespectful.

• Noodle
    Favorite Answer

From what I've learnt from the show 'I didn't know I was pregnant'

-The test was old

-It wasn't first morning pee

-Too much water was drank before hand

-It was left out too long

My friend tested every few days with dollar store tests because her and her fiance were having unprotected sex, she even tested the day she found out she was pregnant and it said negative. She want to the hospital for cramping and was told she was 5 weeks along and pregnant by blood test.

It could just be that it was a little early in your pregnancy. It could also be that you drank a lot of water that day and didn't have enough of the pregnancy hormone in your urine to show up on the test. Also, if you took it later in the day, that could cause a false negative in early pregnancy.

Saw your question and just had to share. My sister bought Pregnancy Without Pounds for me when I learned I was expecting. I have to admit my initial reaction was Wow, is she trying to say I'm fat?! But as I started the program, I realized there was some great stuff. It answered my questions about nutrition, cravings (Yes. Some of them were real and others were because my food intake was off for the day.), and exercises I could safely do for me and my baby. Now I have a beautiful baby boy and my pre-pregnancy weight just a few months after delivery. It worked for me. Who knows? It may work for you, too. It's worth taking a look.

Blessings

"false negatives" are only there because there's not enough of the pregnancy hormone to be detected yet,or because you tested too soon. You either tested too soon,or didn't have enough HCG in your body to detect it yet.