Sam asked in Social ScienceEconomics · 9 years ago

Why is the country 'Cambodia' classified aas a newly industrialized or developing?

I have a lot of notes in this question but not sure what to put in or If those notes are actually correct or not.

I need help with this question. Please Its due tomorrow D:

Here are my notes:

There are now over 70.000 teachers.

-In 1990, 82% of school-age children were enrolled in primary school.

-Adult literacy is estimated at 60%-70%.

As in other areas of Cambodian life, the ideology of Khmer Rouge showed a radical rejection of conservative structures in the life of the country’s citizens. Anyone with a diploma was condemned as an “intellectual” and sentenced to hard labor or even executed. But this does not happen anymore.

Health: There are about 34 hospitals in the country, with 506 doctors and public health officers under the Ministry of Health. Because there are so less hospitals, Life expectancy is just 49.7 years. Only one out of five children survives the first 12 months. Only some 12% of the population in rural areas and 20% in urban areas have access to safe drinking water. language and cultural barriers that prevent Khmer Loeu from obtaining medical care, poor infrastructure and access to water, lack of accountability in the medical community, and exacerbating environmental factors such as natural resource degradation, decreasing food production, and internal migration

Cambodia's agriculture sector is the main source of income and employment for 80 per cent of the country's population. To help reduce corruption within its own ranks, the government awarded civil servants a 20% pay raise. Civil servants now take home an average US$30 a month, a good salary by Cambodian standards. One out of every 50 Cambodian is a soldier and half the national budget is devoted to armed forces, it is a heavy burden on the country’s resources

History: In 1960, Vietnam was in a civil war. US were also involved in the war. Cambodia turned to North Vietnam and allowed Viet cong to use its territory as a base in is war against the Americans. In 1969, US began a secret bombing of suspected Viet Cong bases in Cambodia. The bombing continued for four years. Cambodia’s new ruler, Lon Nol presided over an increasingly corrupt administration. Guerilla armies withdrew from the towns and began gaining influence over the countryside. Hundreds of thousands of people died in the fighting that engulfed the country. After coming to power in 1975, Khmer Rouge leader Pol Pot began a program of genocide in which religious groups, ethnic minorities, and other Cambodians perceived to be enemies of the Khmer Rouge were systematically executed. By 1979, The Vietnamese army poured across the border and swiftly brought and end to the rule of Pol Pot and Khmer rouge. Cambodians suffered the aftermath of a disrupted rice harvest and many died. Vietnamese forced Khmer rouge into Thailand. Vietnam’s intervention in Cambodia lasted for nearly 11 years. It ended when Mikhail Gorbachev’s new soviet union began press for withdrawal.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP. D:

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Cambodia is attracting quite a lot of foreign investment - from Japan, China, Vietnam, Russia.

They are improving the country's infrastructure - for the last 2-3 years a major improvement was done on the road network. Cambodia is a country with a booming tourist industry - fast development of tourist infrastructure in areas like Sihanoukville or Siem Reap.

And $30 a month is ridiculous - a local guide at Angkor earns up to $500 a month - this is what they call a good salary.

Source(s): I 've been there
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

A lot of foreign companies are investing and bringing jobs to Cambodia. Last time I heard, Cambodia is the 2nd fasting growing asian country after China...Asia as in East Asian I believe. Cambodia is nice with China.

• Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.