Who "plays" the role of the Sheriff in washington D.C ?

We are all aware that the District of Columbia is not a state which means it has no counties, which also means that there is no sheriff. So who serves the warrants, evictions, civil papers, provides courtroom security and run the local jail if there is no sheriff? I doubt its DC metro police seeings as their just a police agency, not officers or deputies of the court. I'm curious anyone from DC can help?

Favorite Answer

I'm not from DOC - but your question interested me, so I did some quick research. The court system is ran by the federal government and crimes are prosecuted by the United States attorney Generals office.

"Additionally, due to its location within an independent federal city, the department must exercise the standard functions of a local police force and also handle certain activities normally considered within the domain of a county police or state police agency such as a sex offender registry." -wiki

Cathy Lanier is currently the Chief of Police of DC

awwww No one gave you an answer!!! That's a pretty good question because your right that the sheriff department would take on all the roles your talking about.

I googled around a little.

http://doc.dc.gov/doc/cwp/view,a,3,q,619447.asp

So their is a D.C. department of corrections. That seems equivalent to D.C. sheriffs. That probably is the agency that performs sheriffs duties.

Pancho Villa