promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 9 years ago

What would happen if Kim Jong Il was assassinated?

Ok North Korea has been one of the biggest threats to the US in the past few years. The whole nuclear thing is starting to freak me out and it seems the only solution would be to blow Kim Jong Il's head off. I know it sounds wrong but think about the millions of deaths there would be if we were bombed. If he were to be killed, would it spark another war or would North Korea and its citizens finally be free from the misery. I know it can't be as simple as that, or can it?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

If Kim, Jong-Il were assassinated this would ignite a power-grabbing Civil War between the pro-Kim factions and the various military leaders who would want to grab power for themselves.

China would possibly intervene, but only to keep refugees from streaming into China to escape the carnage.

South Korea would also possibly intervene, but only to keep refugees from streaming into South Korea to escape the carnage.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

The situation is vastly more complicated than simply blowing Kim Jong Il's head off.

If he is assassinated, then it is likely his son Jong Un, would succeed. There is a power structure in the North Korean society that is sophisticated and wants to stay in charge, and they will do everything in their power to maintain their control.

Assassinating Kim John Il would likely not accomplish anything but make the Korean peninsula more unstable.

The only way that I see that this situation can be dealt with peacefully is to normalize relations with North Korea, allow trade in exchange for them reducing their military. Make the plan to reunify North Korea, and give amnesty to the North Korean's currently in power. You have to give them a good reason to give up their grip on the state, otherwise they will hold on till death.

• 9 years ago

He would likely become a martyr, and his son would have more power than he would've if his father had died naturally.

The citizens of North Korea actually like Kim Jong Il.

• breau
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Kim Jong Il has a variety of of team and a vast militia - there might constantly be somebody who might replace him and upon doing so declare warfare on the "aggressors interior the west". you could assure it. the two way the worldwide is in a extraordinarily frightening place precise now.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

It depends on how far the apple falls from the tree. Will his son follow in his footsteps or will he take North Korea in a new direction? I hope for the latter.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

We've got our hands full with Afganistan and Iraq at the moment, but once we're done there let's spread democracy to NK too!

• 9 years ago

I would not be surprised to see the people of that country throw a big party. Probably have to take out his kid too, but what the hell. Party on.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Its been well publicized that he has been grooming his son to take over one day.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

I would be afraid of the next guy who would replace him and possibly be worse.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.