how to find a job in alaska?

looking to get into the fishing industry, need real info that doesn't cost anything

Favorite Answer

It really depends on what you mean by the fishing industry.

I am assuming you want to become a crew member on a boat. If that is the case, it can be extremely difficult.

When a captain needs a crew member, they usually need one immediately. Sometimes a potential crew member might get a few days notice, but unless you were part of the crew before, it is a matter of being in the right place at the right time.

First, I would read the State of Alaska page on jobs in the seafood industry:

http://labor.state.ak.us/esd_alaska_jobs/

If you are already in Alaska, I would go visit the local Alaska Job Center (a state run office that helps people find work. They are excellent to work with if you are willing to do anything, even if you are an out of stater looking for temporary employment).

Another option is to look up the seafood processors in the state. The website I gave you above will list a number of jobs, but there tend to be more jobs listed on the seafood processor websites (it has been awhile since I had anything to do with the industry, but Trident Seafoods is a major player up there and worth checking out). If they like you, they might even pay to have you come up. The idea with a processing job is to try and position yourself to be in the right place at the right time. Get to know the captains as they come in. Talk with crew members off of boats so they recognize you later on. If you have the opportunity, go the extra mile to do whatever you can for the incoming boats. The idea is to make yourself known as an honest, hard worker who is pleasant to be around. HOWEVER…the drawback to this idea is that you might get stuck on the slime line where you are basically stuck in a hole for 12 hours a day and may not have an opportunity to interface with the boats.

Basically, to get on a boat, you are going to need to put yourself out there like a politician running for office. On what little free time you have, go out on the docks. Approach boats to see if you can help for a few hours doing anything (even if it is for free). You need to get yourself known, so when a slot opens up, the captain or crew will suggest “that one kid who wanders around the docks helping people”.

The work (both off and on the boat) is going to be tough and basically sucks. However, if it is in your blood, there will be nothing else you’ll want to do.

Living up there is a bit spendy and jobs (even piss poor ones) can be tough to come by, depending on where you are. I would try to make sure you have a plan B to get back to where you come from, such as a parent who might spring for the $1K airfare to bring you back. I am not saying you are going to fail, but it is best to be prepared for it.

Good Luck!

you don't ask in the travel category