How can we prevent crazy people from getting guns, while still protecting the 2nd amendment?

What are reasonable regulations that can be imposed that would allow average law abiding citizens to purchase firearms while keeping guns out of the hands of crazy people? From what I understand, the only way you can end up on a list as mentally unstable is to be involuntarily committed to a psychiatric ward. ... show more What are reasonable regulations that can be imposed that would allow average law abiding citizens to purchase firearms while keeping guns out of the hands of crazy people?

From what I understand, the only way you can end up on a list as mentally unstable is to be involuntarily committed to a psychiatric ward. This is a pretty high standard because they always give a patient a chance to commit themselves before they involuntarily commit them. If the patient choses to commit themselves, as I understand it, they will not show up in the databases.