Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

How can we prevent crazy people from getting guns, while still protecting the 2nd amendment?

What are reasonable regulations that can be imposed that would allow average law abiding citizens to purchase firearms while keeping guns out of the hands of crazy people?

From what I understand, the only way you can end up on a list as mentally unstable is to be involuntarily committed to a psychiatric ward. This is a pretty high standard because they always give a patient a chance to commit themselves before they involuntarily commit them. If the patient choses to commit themselves, as I understand it, they will not show up in the databases.

Favorite Answer

There are more guns than people in America (which I find very unsettling). If crazy people can't buy one at the corner gun shop, they'll find one somewhere.

I hate to say it, because I hate the damn things, but it's impossible to put the firearms genie back in the bottle. Any efforts at legitimate gun control while still observing the 2nd Amendment are futile.

• Stu147

There are a couple of problems with this. One if a problem of administration, and the other is a problem of what happens to the guns when they are taken home.

The ideal standard would be that every application to purchase a gun is qualified with a face to face psychological and medical assessment of the applicant as well as a home visit to appraise the storage facilities for the weapon (suitable lock box, safe location, etc). The applicant should then receive training on safe handling and use of the weapon. However, this would require huge amounts of manpower and administration as well as a lot of red tape. It would be almost impossible to provide such a rigorous qualification procedure.

The issue of what happens when the gun is taken home is also of concern, because it's not just about who is the registered user. It's also about how secure they keep the weapon in question and who else might gain access to it. How many kids/people have been involved in incidents using a weapon that did not belong to them in the first place? How can any store or agency ensure that a gun won't end up in the wrong hands without again needing huge amounts of administration, home visits, etc?

Unless these kind of stringent measures, as I've exampled above, can be put into place for every single gun application then I can't see a way that future gun related attrocities will be avoided. I'm talking purely about those with legally purchased weapons too, I'm not talking about illegal firearms which is a big enough problem in itself.

When the Second Amendment passed, people used flint lock rifles. They did not have Glock semi-automatic pistols or the type of firepower available today. If NRA supporters want to return to the intent of the Constitution, let them give up their modern weaponry.

Nowhere in that amendment does it say you have to be sane to own a gun.

The very fact that one feels they need a gone precludes the sane argument anyway. Sane people don't need a gun unless their country is being invaded.

Loughner was kicked out of Community College for psychological reasons. He should have immediately been put on a registry that would be checked when he went to buy a gun.

Quite easy really, ask them if they want a firearm, if they do they are crazy and shouldn't be allowed one.

oh . . . that's most of america isn't it . . .

Perhaps america should begin to construct a society where weapons aren't necessary, then I would be impressed.

Treat the crazy people and keep them away so that they can't kill other people.

Outlaw guns......then arrest the outlaws...............too simple?