Loren asked in Business & FinanceInvesting · 9 years ago

what are some examples of mutual funds?

I want to know what mutual funds are used for and different kinds of mutual funds. What is the purpose of mutual funds.

Favorite Answer

"Sector Funds"...

click on " Fidelity Investments: Sector Mutual Funds ..then click..."Fidelity Select Portfolios®" http://personal.fidelity.com/global/search/inquira...

The Fidelity Magellan Fund (MUTF: FMAGX

$52 billion dollars in one fund in 2005 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magellan_Fund

Vanguard 's Windsor Fund http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Neff

"Windsor returned 13.7% annually versus 10.6% for the S&P 500"

"purpose of mutual funds"....In the Past, it was the only way for anyone with less than $50,000-$100,000 to invest in equities, before Dis-Count Brokers..A fund of combined monies, pooled together to buy stocks..You added your $20,000(almost any amount). to the pool, and a manager in turn bought stocks according to a proven model of around 60% equity stocks and 40%Bonds, now there's every model imaginable, and every sector..Now it's the biggest piece of the investment Pie...Trillions...and 60% is sitting on the sideline, and the talking heads don't know why.

Example Of Mutual Fund

To Start Investing

It takes a long time to learn the stock market and it would help if you read some books and information online. Before you start investing in the market the first thing you need to decide is what risk level you want to take. CDs backed up by the government has about 3-4% annual return for the long term with a low risk. Bonds or Bonds Funds has about 5-7% annual return for the long term with a medium risk. Stocks or Stock Mutual Funds has about 8-10% annual return for the long term with a high risk and are more volatile than Bonds. Usually the more risk you take, the more return you will have, but not always. To see the Risk vs Return go to my photo at: http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd520/jjmarcan... If you can't see the Return vs Risk table, let me know and I will send it another way. The stock market is basally made up of stocks and bonds. Investment managers pick a group of stocks to make a mutual fund or a group of bonds to make a bond fund. They even put a mixture of stocks and bonds together and call it Growth & Income Fund.

1- Mutual Funds: I like mutual funds because they have a group of stocks, could be around 100+, invested in different sectors, and manage by a professional. Managers have lots of schooling for investing in stocks, around 8 years. So I think managers can pick stocks better than me. There are lots of different kinds of mutual funds that does not charge any fees to buy it's shares and they are called Noload Funds. There are also some funds called Load Funds that charge 5% of your investment. But what I don't like is the fact that most funds has trading restriction and you may not be able to trade more than 4 times a year. That's because it makes it hard for the fund to make a good return if there is to much trading in the fund, causing the fund manager to make more buys and sells. Mutual funds are meant for long term investors.

2- Stocks: Stocks is more volatile than funds unless you spread you money in about ten different sectors and know witch sector will do best. And stock trading restricting is only a few days and that's something that I like. If you own stocks, you need to keep up with all the company's business so you don't get stuck with a bad stock.

3- ETFs (Exchange Traded Funds): ETFs are like a mutual fund but trades like a stock and that is my main reason why I like ETFs. There are some ETFs that represents Index's. An Index is like S&P or DOW. Index's operate just like a mutual fund with a group of stocks in deferent sectors, manage by professionals. You can't buy Index's because they are not for sell. A company owns them. But you can buy a mutual funds or an ETF that has the same stocks as the Index they represent. There are a lots of different kinds of ETFs for someone to choose from. Some have 1x leverage, some have 2x leverage, and some has 3x leverage. There are some that represent almost every kind of sector.

You can find several good brokers that charge $8.00 and under, per stock trade and no fee on Noload Funds. Most broker websites have good research tools. Some popular broker websites are Fidelity, TD Ameritrade, E-trade, Scottrade and others. I think you need a min. of $500 (some sites $2,500) to open a broker account.

If you want more info, click my picture and read About Me.

Source(s): Self-taught from 24 years of experience.

I don't really understand your question. Can you be more specific?

A mutual fund is a pool of individual stocks.

RE:

what are some examples of mutual funds?

mutual funds are so much but it depend what kind of investment horizon you have for investment.

example -

1 day to 3 month - liquid fuds

3m- 1 yr- short term funds

1yr- 3yr- accurual fund (debt funds)

3-5 yr- balance funds

5= yr - equity funds

In binary options you will have the possibility to predict the movement of various assets such as stocks, currency pairs, commodities and indices. Learn how you can make money trading binary options https://tinyurl.im/aH5B7 An option has only two outcomes (hence the name "binary" options). This is because the value of an asset can only go up or down during a given time frame. Your task will be to predict if the value of an asset with either go up or down during a certain amount of time.

1