Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

When Christians say, “Cultures all around the world have flood myths,” do they think this proves Noah’s Ark?

Do they really think that flood myths in various cultures prove that Noah’s Ark is a true story? Is this a case of confirmation bias? Are Christians so desperate to justify believing in absurd and impossible dogma that they will tenaciously cling to such weak and easily discounted evidence such as this? I mean, what do flood myths in various cultures actually prove if anything? And in the Noah’s Ark myth, weren’t all the various cultures wiped out except for Noah and his incestuous family? So how could various cultures have flood myths if they were wiped out? Don’t flood myths in other cultures actually count as evidence AGAINST the Noah’s Ark myth?

26 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

When atheists declare something a myth do they think that means it is?

• Login to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

Well you seem very confused.

1. Seven times you have erroneously used the word "myth" to desribe the historial account of the global flood which occured Noah's day.

2. The flood account is not absurd or impossible or dogma or weak or easily discounted.

3. Eight people survived the flood, the ancestors of all human civilizations. "And God went on to bless Noah and his sons and to say to them: “Be fruitful and become many and fill the earth." ..From these the population of the isles of the nations was spread about in their lands, each according to its tongue, according to their families, by their nations.. These were the families of the sons of Noah according to their family descents, by their nations, and from these the nations were spread about in the earth after the deluge."

4. You are again misinformed. Noah's family was not incestuous.

5. "Don’t flood myths in other cultures actually count as evidence AGAINST the Noah’s Ark myth?"

NO.

It counts as evidence that such an awesome catastrophe, if it really happened, would never have been completely forgotten. Hence, in many nations there are reminders of that destruction. Practically all ancient peoples have a legend that their ancestors survived a global flood. African Pygmies, European Celts, South American Incas—all have similar legends, as do peoples of Alaska, Australia, China, India, Lithuania, Mexico, Micronesia, New Zealand, and parts of North America, to mention only a few.

Over time the legends have been embellished, but they all include several details indicating a common source narrative: God was angered by mankind's wickedness. He brought a great flood. Mankind as a whole was destroyed. A few righteous ones, however, were preserved. These built a vessel in which humans and animals were saved. In time, birds were sent out to search for dry land. Finally, the vessel came to rest on a mountain. Upon disembarking, the survivors offered a sacrifice. The similarities cannot possibly be coincidental. The combined evidence of these legends corroborates the Bible's ancient testimony that all humans descend from the survivors of a flood that destroyed a world of mankind.

• 4 years ago

Jesus himself confirmed the story as true. Matthew 24; 36 “Concerning that day and hour nobody knows, neither the angels of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father. 37 For just as the days of Noah were, so the presence of the Son of man will be. 38 For as they were in those days before the flood, eating and drinking, men marrying and women being given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark; 39 and they took no note until the flood came and swept them all away, so the presence of the Son of man will be. 40 Then two men will be in the field: one will be taken along and the other be abandoned; 41 two women will be grinding at the hand mill: one will be taken along and the other be abandoned.

• 9 years ago

I've used that as a means of calming the storm of disrespect more than a means of proof. I find it interesting that there are so many flood myths, although to me, this proves more that our ancestors moved around and were communicating with one another despite great differences in where they lived and what language they used.

I think that this is a good example of how we ourselves could treat one another, and take a look at our geological history more closely. If we did not have these stories, we would not be inspired to go find out about them.

This is how Dr Spencer Wells began his work. He actually called it (to begin with) "Looking for Adam", although it ended up being called "We are all African", his preliminary work still has a great deal of value, and is well respected amoung his peers.

I do not think that we should ever stop wondering.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Ms. El
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

People back then were so out of touch with the rest of the world. It wouldn't surprise me if there was actually a flood that occured at the time that affected many. Think about it, if you only knew of the world within a 20 mile radius and then a huge flood wiped out everything in that radius, wouldn't you think that the entire world had perished? This proves to me personally that there was nothing divine in the flood, just simple minded people's interpretation of events. I had never considered the point you brought up though. Interesting.

• 9 years ago

In the bible 8 humans survived the flood. Noah, his wife, his 3 sons, (Ham, Shem, and Japeth i believe are their names) and their wives. The three sons had sons and they had sons and they had sons until eventually the world was once again populated. Some of the sons moved away and started their own tribe. When they started their own tribe they remembered the story of the flood, and told it to their sons. Over time the flood story changes. And each tribe develops their own version of the story. So all the cultures got their flood story from the real flood that only 8 people survived.

Remember that back then they told their stories orally. So it was real easy to change the details each time the story was told.

• 9 years ago

Yes, they tend to do that, in my experience, completely ignoring the facts that those myths are dated to different times as is the sedimentary evidence of local flooding. Noah's myth probably has something to do with the common flooding of Tigris/Euphrates, or, as some researchers proposed, the flooding of the Black Sea. The latter would have taken place before the Universe was created if we are to believe Biblical mythology. So would, for that matter, many other floods, such as those in China.

EDIT@RicG: It's called uplift.

• Sarah
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

God did flood the entire world and destroyed everything except the only people who would listen to Him that is Noah and his family. Proof of this flood should be all over the earth and it never surprises me when a country says they have found proof of the floor. The next time He destroyers the earth it will be by fire and it will be the end of time. Read about the flood in Genesis chapters 6-part of chapter 9.

If you continue reading on in chapter 10, it will explain when men started speaking different languages. It was at the Tower of Babel. If you will read it you will understand.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Yes because once the global flood happenned, people in those cultures all died and became extinct and had noone to pass the story onto - on the other hand the Tower of Babel was a story when races were created which people from different cultures should be able to remember

• 9 years ago

The fact that flood myths were common back in the day to me lends to credence to Noah's Arc being true. If anything it does the opposite. It shows myths were common and adopted into many venues of story telling.

• 9 years ago

Many cultures do indeed have flood myths, most likely due to the melting of the ice sheets and glaciers at the end of the last ice age, with it`s resultant flash floods and rising sea levels.

There is nothing to suggest that there was a global flood.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.