Jay™
Jay™ asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 10 years ago

How can I fight a speeding ticket?

I got clocked at going 57 in a 40 zone, so now I'm hit with a $170 fine. I'm going to court tomorrow to fight this speeding ticket, and I was wondering what my defense should be? I'm really banking on the officer not showing up, but assuming that he does show up, what can I argue? If I could negotiate and get away with at least no points on my license and hopefully a lower fine, I'd be OK with that (although I'd prefer not to have to pay the fine at all.)

• Scott
    Favorite Answer

Little late to ask for strategy.

Some states set the fines by legislation and they are pretty inflexible. You may be able to negotiate payments but that's about it.

Others have a little flexibility. But the whole point of the flexibility is freeing the courts time by offering a reduced fine for a guilty plea.

Another possibility is the fine (bond) forfeit. You pay some or all of the fine, but the charges are dismissed and don't count for points. If your state does this, it will only do so once. A clean driving record and the circumstances of the ticket are evaluated and you may or may not be offered this option. This is something to request as soon after the ticket as you can.

At this point, your only hope is that the officer is a no show AND your state does not allow him to submit an official, standard report for minor offenses like a simple speeding ticket.

All in all, for 17mph over, your state appears to be a bargain...where are you? This would be closer to $400 in some states. Here, you would be subject to arrest!

Unless you have other issues, work-out payments if you need to and save the taxpayers a little money.

I guess the first thing you need to do is ask yourself why you were going 17 miles over the speed limit. Was there a good reason for this? Were you late for work? Was someone sick or injured? If you feel you have a valid complaint reason why you felt the need to speed, then say your peace and hope for the best. One time my Mother got a ticket for speeding, but my little sister was sick at school and she managed to get the court to dismiss the fine.

You might be able to argue your car was broken in some way, shape or form. If you could go to a mechanic and prove your speedometer was broken, maybe you can get away with it. I have heard stranger things.

Just remember, don't lie! Lying in court is one of the worst things you could ever do, especially if you get caught!

• kelly

There's no logical argument for going 17 over, trying to justify going that fast is going to make the judge laugh at you. Just take it like a man and pay your ticket.

Just be glad it's only $170 - in my state 15+ over is reckless driving, the consequences aren't just a little fine.

If the officer shows up then you're probably going to pay the ticket in full. You could argue that the radar gun was clocked wrong if that's what he was using but it is exceptionally rare for a judge to side with the defendant for infractions.

• You can't fight it you can try and get it lowered to a seatbelt ticket or something but than they usually up the fine

There is no way to fight a speeding ticket if he shows up.

used to be able to goto a mechanic and show the spedometer was off, no way to justify 17 mph, especially with laser

It's too late for this one, but you can fight all your future speeding tickets by NOT SPEEDING.

Pay the fine!!!