is there a way to repair a chip on a windshield?

I have a couple of chips on my windshield. I would rather not replace my windshield in the dead of winter. Is there any other way to fix chips? One chip hasn't extended at all. One chip has a line on either side about 1/4" or less.

Will freezing or below freezing temps make the bigger chip "spider"?

Any advice?

Favorite Answer

You need the windshield warm so trying to do it yourself in the winter isn't a good idea. Any auto glass shop can do it and many time your insurance will pay for it. Look in the yellow pages under Glass Auto and ask your insurance agent.

Source(s): Been repairing and restoring cars for over 50 years.

Yeah, well people that repair your windshield for free usually charge your insurance which will

just wake it go up so i would suggest that you do not do that.

To answer your question yes your chip in your windshield will grow bigger and bigger intill you

have to replace the whole thing.

I would go here and get myself a own repair kit.

Thanks

This works: Scotch tape,cover the chips inside and outside with this clear tape;

It will not "Spider" if You put tape on without delay;

People that drive on gravel roads know this;

I learned this from a lady that did a lot of gravel road driving,I used it on windshield of Ford,six years ago;I worked on Jet aircraft and jet engines 27 + years,auto-mechanic most of my life,and didn't know this fix;

Yea,look under yellow pages for windshield crack repair,lotta services all over for this,if runs too far cant be fixed though,as long as its a spot it can be fixed.

they sell a repair kit in department stores

Source(s): did it to my jeep