Cut Off a Body Part If It Causes You to Sin?

Cut Off a Body Part If It Causes You to Sin? so i have addiction to jacking and adultery so if i had a surgery to remove penis would that be a sin I AM SERIOUS

Best Answer

Master your mind because it holds sovereignty over the body. You speak as if you are a Christian so I will give you the answer you want: Your body is a temple and through Christ you can do all things

• Teresa

No, I wouldn't. When I read that too often ignored verse in my bible, I was disgusted. It's promoting self mutilation is what is is. I love God and all, but I just can't agree with that, let alone agree with any religion that practices that. (just the cutting off body parts, not the entire Bible. The Bible's fine)

Start using a commentary in your Bible reading, such as Kretzmann online. Even better would be using the People's Bible Commentary Series from Northwestern Publishing House, though.

http://www.kretzmannproject.org/

Here is Kretzmann's take on the verses you are talking about:

Christ's advice to the tempted: V. 29. And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out and cast it from thee. For it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell. V. 30. And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off and cast it from thee. For it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell. The right eye and the right hand are named as prominent members in the actual committing of sin, through which the evil desire of the heart finds its expression. They are represented as the organs of temptation. According to popular view, they are the members that offend, that incite to the actual commission of sin. Therefore, symbolically speaking, these members and all the members of the body must be controlled, if necessary, by an absolute and painful renunciation. Better to be without individual organs and members of the body than have the whole body condemned. Christ speaks figuratively, and His words must be understood in the spiritual sense; for mutilation evidently may prevent the outward act, but will not kill the desire. Every member of the body shall be so controlled and governed by the sanctified will that it will not yield to sin, thus bringing the whole body into condemnation. Jesus again uses the figure of the perpetual fires of the valley of Hinnom, where the waste and refuse of the city of Jerusalem was burned, for the punishment of hell. "This, then, is the meaning: If you feel that you look upon a woman with evil lust, then pluck that eye or vision out as being contrary to God's commandment, not of the body, but of the heart from which the burning and desire proceeds, then have you torn it out rightly. For when the evil lust is out of the heart, then the eye will also not sin nor offend you, and you will look upon the same woman with the same eyes of your body, but without desire, and it will be as though you had not seen her. For no longer is that eye there which was there before, which is called an eye of burning or desire, although the eye of the body remains uninjured." 51)

I saw a movie once where a guy did that with an electric kitchen knife.

I'd bet Thanksgiving Dinner was never the same in that house.

I've read what your talking about in Matthew 5:29,30.

So, give it a go but, don't waste it...

Make a pot of soup but don't tell anyone what your "secret" ingredient is until after you soak in your applause...

Source(s): Remember Lorainna Bobbett?
  • elyon

Just as many before you, the scripture references you "refer" to do not teach to literally cut off body parts. What you will not see is that the beginning of understanding scripture and spiritual concepts is faith. There is no other way to see it. Not my words.

Source(s): Bible

The Bible says if you sin with your hands and feet cut them off, if you sin with eyes, take them out.

Source(s): Atheist.

God is just giving you an explain to do. He means to quit looking or doing that thing.

Your love for God is good enough for Him, if you ask Him to blind you (or to cut it off), then He will.

Source(s): Coptic Orthodox forever!
  • If your right hand offends you, cut it off. That's the actual Biblical quote you're trying to remember, no less.

Jesus said that to emphasise a point.

It is your brain, not your penis, that is the issue.

You do not have an addiction....you make your choice

it's an exageration. it's actually suggesting the use of self control, since you control your body for the most part.