Used Firearms vs. New Firearms (Purchases)?

Through all of the time I've been here, I've noticed that almost *EVERYONE* asking about which firearm to purchase (especially first timers), wishes to purchase a firearm brand new, while setting a fairly limited budget for themselves (almost always unreasonably budgeted, I might add). Why is there such... show more Through all of the time I've been here, I've noticed that almost *EVERYONE* asking about which firearm to purchase (especially first timers), wishes to purchase a firearm brand new, while setting a fairly limited budget for themselves (almost always unreasonably budgeted, I might add).

Why is there such opposition to buying pre-owned firearms? Is it just not fashionable? This being said, 99% of the firearms I've bought were used, and they are every bit the gun a new version of it is... less the difference in cost.

I'm just curious as to what everyone thinks of used guns. Thanks again everybody.
Update: EDIT: As an example, perchance someone with a $300 budget wishes to purchase a decent hunting rifle. Instead of buying a Remington 770, Mossberg ATR, or Savage Edge, why don't they look around for a little while for a used Remington 700 (I've seen them in good shape for that price) or Savage 110?
Update 2: Glock Doctor: I definitely agree to stay away from the 770, but there is nothing wrong with the older 700's. The only times they have ever had problems, were from rifles that had either been shot to hell & back (by that I mean 10,000 rounds a year, for 20 years), or been monkeyed with by amateur gunsmiths wanting... show more Glock Doctor: I definitely agree to stay away from the 770, but there is nothing wrong with the older 700's. The only times they have ever had problems, were from rifles that had either been shot to hell & back (by that I mean 10,000 rounds a year, for 20 years), or been monkeyed with by amateur gunsmiths wanting an even better trigger.

I absolutely agree with everything else you have said though.
Update 3: Glock Doctor: I've heard FN having any real problems. That being said, I've never seen Rugers go in for much of anything either.
Update 4: Mopsy: Fair enough, fair enough. Then again, there usually are some signs of stress though (revolvers, either a bound up, or overly loose action, or with semi's battered action components).

Good point though.