Momentum vs. Kinetic energy?

I understand that momentum is a magnitude and a direction while kinetic energy is just a magnitude, but can someone help clear out the difference while answering this question: A 2kg object travels at 2 m/s to the right. A 1kg object travels 3 m/s to the left. The 2kg object has more momentum, but less kinetic... show more I understand that momentum is a magnitude and a direction while kinetic energy is just a magnitude, but can someone help clear out the difference while answering this question:

A 2kg object travels at 2 m/s to the right. A 1kg object travels 3 m/s to the left. The 2kg object has more momentum, but less kinetic energy. The 1kg object has more kinetic energy, but less momentum. I think when they collide, they will travel in the direction of the object with more momentum. Is this right? And also, since they are traveling in the opposite direction of the 1kg object, does this mean kinetic energy is lost? Can someone explain why it would go the direction of the object with more momentum, even if it means this object can't do as much work due to it's speed than the other?
1 answer 1