Starting problems on a 1988 Sportster?

I have an 88 XLH. When I turn the key to the run position the bike starts to crank without hitting the start button. If it starts the starter does not disengage. I have checked the wires to the breakers and to the key. The 3 wires to the key (red, white, green) The white and green wires have 75.80 ohm's... show more I have an 88 XLH. When I turn the key to the run position the bike starts to crank without hitting the start button. If it starts the starter does not disengage. I have checked the wires to the breakers and to the key. The 3 wires to the key (red, white, green) The white and green wires have 75.80 ohm's resistance with the run/stop switch in the run position and drops to .06 ohm's with the start button pressed. If i unplug the wires to the switches there is no continuity between the green and white wires. Also, if the run/stop switch is in the stop position there is no continuity between the green and white wires. My question is, should there be any continuity between these wires without the start button pressed? what readings should i get while testing the switch? My service manual is missing the wiring diagram so I can't trace the wires to see if they are routed correctly (altho I do believe they are) if anyone knows where there is a free copy that'ed be great! Thanks for the help.
4 answers 4