Some simple facts you should check before accusing the Catholics;
The Catholic Church has preserved the Bible for 2,000 years from destruction and error, she has grounded her doctrines upon the Bible and always has held the Bible in highest veneration, that is why the Roman Catholic Church has the right to call the Bible, Her Book!
1) The Roman Catholic Church gave God’s holy scripture the name Bible, the Word Bible comes from the Greek word biblia which means "the books".
2) The Roman Catholic Church in all her wisdom decided which books were inspired and should make up the Bible, in the 382 AD, Pope Damasus I directed the Council of Rome to compile the first New Testament, the bishops at the Council of Carthage in 397 AD, under the direction of St. Augustine settled and declared the inspired books of the Old and New Testament.
3) The Catholic Church produced more than 600 editions of the Bible in different languages before the first Protestant Bible ever appeared. A Catholic could read the Bible in German, Italian, Spanish, French, Bohemian, Flemish, and Russian before the Reformation.
4) The first Bible ever printed by a printing press was the Catholic Gutenburg Bible in 1456.
5) Martin Luther changed the Bible, first, he took 7 books (Tobit, Judith,Wisdom, Sirach, Baruch, 1&2 Maccabees) out of the Old Testament because they caused problems for his new theology, second, Luther had trouble with verses such as (James 2:24) “See how a person is justified by works and not by faith alone.” so he inserted the word ALONE in (Romans 3:28) to make it read, "For we hold that a man is justified by faith alone apart from the observance of the law."Luther even stated,"You tell me what a great fuss the Papists are making because the word ‘alone’ is not in the text of Paul. If your Papist makes such an unnecessary row about the word ‘alone,’ say right out to him: ‘Dr. Martin Luther will have it so,’ and say: ‘Papists and asses are one and the same thing.’ I will have it so, and I order it to be so, and my will is reason enough. I know very well that the word ‘alone’ is not in the Latin or the Greek text, it was not necessary for the Papists to teach me that."
(6) The Roman Catholic Church did chain Bibles before the invention of the printing press. This was done not to hinder anyone from reading the Bible but to prevent people from stealing it. Bible scholars estimate that the cost of one Bible during the Middle ages was equivalent to 10 years of wages.
7) The word Trinity is not in the Bible,this word was invented by the Catholic Church to try to explain the mystery of there being three persons in one God .
8) The over used question used by Fundamentalists, "Do you accept Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior?" is not found in the Bible.
9) The phrases which say, "The Bible alone is to be used as the sole rule of faith." or "Saved by faith alone" or "Once saved always saved " are absent from Holy Scripture.
10)Why does the Catholic Church call the Latin Bible the Vulgate? The term comes from the Latin word vulgata which means the popular edition. Vulgata is derived from the Latin word vulgas which means "common people." In other words, the Latin Bible is for everyone!
btw, anti-Catholicism is the last acceptable prejudice left in America.
Edit: Humanist of course you are correct concerning the written scripture but my reference included the oral teaching and tradition, which means that indeed the church preserved the bible.
BTW,all you self righteous fundies can go suck a lemon*