What is considered adequate heating for a house with only electric baseboards?

I just moved into an old house, and it's proving to be more than a little chilly. The climate here is cold, with -20C not uncommon in the winter, and at least a few days of -40 most winters. The house has 10 rooms in total, five up and five down, and many large single pane windows upstairs, concrete floors and... show more I just moved into an old house, and it's proving to be more than a little chilly. The climate here is cold, with -20C not uncommon in the winter, and at least a few days of -40 most winters. The house has 10 rooms in total, five up and five down, and many large single pane windows upstairs, concrete floors and walls downstairs. The entire house is "heated" by only three electric baseboard heaters; two upstairs and one downstairs. The three electric heaters were originally meant to be supplemental to an oil furnace, but the furnace broke down and was removed a few months before we moved in, it was never replaced. The landlords (verbally) assured us the house would be adequately heated with the three baseboard heaters, and that our electric heating bills would be about $100/month, and that the house had significant solar heat gain due to the large windows. Our bills turned out to be nearly triple that amount, and we still have not been able to heat the house to standard room temperature without buying supplemental space heaters. We have not detected any solar heat as of yet, as there is minimal southern exposure, the windows do not face the sun.

When we contacted the landlord and complained that we couldn't get the rooms upstairs or downstairs up to 20 degrees C , even with the heaters turned up to 30 or 35C settings they told us that we weren't actually cold, and recommended turning the heat off completely at night to save money on heating costs ,heating only one room at a time, and huddling under blankets in the unheated bedroom.

I am concerned that the frost and condensation on the windows will cause mould problems, and that the electric heaters are being pushed past their safe capacity, all while still not being warm enough to be comfortable.

I cannot find any published standards for British Columbia regarding what heating standards are for the health, safety and comfort of tenants. Or what is requirements for number of baseboard heaters vs size of house. Vancouver has Standards of Maintenance bylaws, but those don't apply in this municipality.

Recommendations on what to do? Resources? I have not heard back from Tenants Rights Advisory Council.
4 answers 4