What connection, if any, is there between WikiPedia and WikiLeaks?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Ben
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Best Answer

None at all. Wikipedia is run by the Wikimedia Foundation, a registered non-profit organization with the goal of spreading knowledge by empowering users to share what they know. Wikileaks is a website run by Swedish megalomaniac Jullian Assange with the purpose of gathering all the secret and classified information they can find and making it public.

The word "wiki", which comes from the Hawaiian word for "fast", just means a website that allows people to write pages with a simplified markup. It doesn't have anything to do with a specific company or organization.

• Moses
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

There actually is a tenuous connection between Wikipedia and Wikileaks.

One of Wikipedia's co-founders, Jimbo Wales, owns a company called Wikia, Inc. that employs several other people who have been closely involved with Wikipedia over the years. Wikia owns the domain names wikileaks.com, wikileaks.net, wikileaks.info, and wikileaks.mobi, and until just recently (when things started to "heat up") they were all redirects to the main WikiLeaks site at wikileaks.org. Wales recently claimed that these domains were purchased "defensively," and that they've been "trying" to transfer the domains to the WikiLeaks organization for several months, but that WikiLeaks hasn't filed the necessary forms to complete the transfer. But then, why would they, when there's a company willing to redirect the non-.org domains for free? Some hosting sites charge up to $5 per month for domain redirects. And why would Wikia even do that if they'd bought the domains "defensively"? If I owned an internet company called "Yawoo, Inc." or "Yahu, Inc.," would Yahoo.com redirect yawoo.net or yahu.info to my website for any reason at all, and for free?

The most likely explanation is that Wikia, desperate to keep its Alexa ranking as high as possible to bring in advertisers, bought the domains to capitalize on WikiLeaks' growing notoriety. The domains owned by Wikia would redirect to WikiLeaks.org only after each click had been registered by Alexa as a visit to Wikia, thereby "juicing" Wikia's ranking. It would therefore be in Wikia's interests to support WikiLeaks as much as possible while subtly spreading incorrect links to the .com and .net domains, via mis-worded press releases and so forth (see link below to such a story, dated February 2008).

All that aside, the real relationship between Wikipedia and WikiLeaks is philosophical. In the past, Wikipedia was a popular place for people to go who wanted to obtain cheap and easy revenge on people they disliked, but in recent years they've started to take themselves a bit more seriously and have made that more difficult. People still looking for that kind of revenge have had to find other, similar outlets, and that's where WikiLeaks comes in.

However, it should be noted that WikiLeaks is actually more responsible and ethical than Wikipedia, generally speaking - they seem to be willing to apply some form of loose pre-publication editorial control and review to the content they "leak," whereas Wikipedia didn't do that at all until recently, and now only does it for a handful of articles, currently on a "trial" basis. Specifically, WikiLeaks responded to concerns about physically endangering diplomatic and intelligence informants by promising to redact names *before* publication. Wikipedia will sometimes redact names *after* publication, but by that time, it's usually too late, the cat's out of the bag.

• 3 years ago

as far as i will collect from western Media components, the civil unrest in Cairo is being led to by skill of extreme unemployment, corruption and repression by skill of the Dictator Muburak. in short, the all and sundry is hungry, and so as that they are desperate, which might clarify the sheer scale and ferocious nature of the riots so far. there has been no point out interior the clicking of a connection to the Wikileaks cables launched late final twelve months, and since the cables have been all with regard to the US government this is not any longer likely they could shed any gentle on genuinely subject concerns in Egypt, extra how conceited the US government are. i've got not accomplished that plenty examine into it, I reccomend you trawl the cables your self and seek for a link. desire this helps!

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

only because of recent popularity of websites that use the term wiki, it does not mean they have a relationship. wiki the term more commonly known as nicknames for websites that are free and can be changed by the public. I do not see any relationship between them.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Nora G
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

I was under the impression the leaks were coming from wikipedia, thus the name

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

None at all.

The word wiki refers to a method of building websites.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

There is no connection whatsoever. They just happen to both have "wiki" as part of their name.

• Mary
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

I wondered that myself. Have no idea.

• 9 years ago

Thanks for asking that question, saves me 5 points.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

SALAM

Source(s): CHETORI
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.