Naval Academy or NROTC?

I'm a sophomore in high school currently looking at my options for college and beyond. My question is what is the lifestyle and benefits of attending the USNA compared to attending a NROTC unit? Also, after graduation will I be stuck with a reserve commission if I go NROTC or can I go active duty (what I would like to do)?

Worth mentioning...a little background of myself...

3.8 GPA

Some community service work

Don't do drugs/drink at all

Award from city-wide organization for leadership/job-well-done style award

Captain on my soccer teams for past 3 yrs

Varsity soccer

If there are any NROTC or USNA grads out there that can give me their stories from college and give some insight of life as both a USNA or NROTC student that would be great. Thank you in advance.

• Tom
    Favorite Answer

There is no longer a difference in commissions between an Nrotc and Naval Academy commissioned officer. The same holds for West Point and Rotc and Usaf and Afrotc. Scroll down to Regular v Reserve Officers" at the following link:

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/promotions/l/bloffi...

Nrotc and Afrotc are not commissioning programs for commissioned officers who will serve in the Reserves by choice. Army Rotc commissions officers who will not serve on active duty by choice but serve in the Reserves or National Guard. The Navy Reserves for the most part only takes Officers who have previously served on active duty.

Good understanding of Nrotc by reading the FAQ on the website of the nation's first Nrotc Battalion:

http://navyrotc.berkeley.edu/faq.shtml

A MIDN's perspective on his time spent in Nrotc:

http://www.lukeswartz.com/nrotc.html

The selection process is nearly identical at The Naval Academy, West Point, and The Air Force Academy, so whatever is stated on one service academy website or in its catalog with regard to admissions generally holds for the others. Suggest considering the outstanding advice offered on the Usafa website to students prepping for a service academy, rotc scholarship or any highly selective university. Open all links to the left of the dialog box:

http://www.academyadmissions.com/#Page/Preparation

If you carefully read the following answer and open the links it should help to explain the selection process and the path to an appointment:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Akhc0...

Join NHS and maybe participate in another sport. Lacrosse is a spring sport that complements soccer. X-country is a possible fall sport. The Service Academies place a priority on athletics. Up to 1/3 of the Usna Freshman class competes on a varsity athletic team. The service academies have a lot of athletic recruits, particularly in certain sports. 18 of 19 Usna Freshmen Lacrosse players spent a year at Naps which implies they were athletic recruits who were not scholastically competitive for direct admission to the Academy. For soccer, only one Freshman player spent a year at Naps. The Psat Math tests Algebra 1 and Geometry. The Sat Math also tests Algebra 2. The Act Math tests these subjects and adds Trigonometry. Start to take the Sat in the spring of the year you complete Algebra 2. For certain Act test dates, a student can order a copy of the test and his answers as well as the writing portion. If you can take the Sat and Act this year it will let you know the extent that you need to begin to prep over the summer to have competitive scores to apply to the Service Academy Summer Seminars. Usafa Summer Seminar opens for applications from HS Juniors on Dec 1. West Point SLS in Mid December and Usna on Feb 1. For Nrotc colleges that require Sat Subject exams, schedule them to coincide with the AP/IB or Final Exam in the course. Get involved in some non athletic school based extracurricular activity now and you will be fine since the Academies only consider the extracurricular record from the 10th grade.

Good Luck!

• Tryg

I graduated from the Naval Academy and taught Navy ROTC. If you think you want to make the Navy a career, you should pick the Naval Academy. The Academy pretty much sucks while you are there but you make great life-long friends and there are enough good times to make the suckage bearable. It is without question one of the best places to be FROM and you will reap life-long benefits from going there, in or out of the service.

If you think the Navy will NOT be your career but you're good enough to get into the Academy, then pick an NROTC school that has a solid academic reputation and a very strong alumni network; I would recommend Notre Dame, the University of Southern California, the University of Pennsylvania, UCLA, or Texas A&M (if you pick A&M, join the Corps of Cadets). These and many other NROTC schools are great colleges where you can get a wonderful education, and I can tell you the Midshipmen I taught and advised in my NROTC unit were every bit as committed to their Navy careers as any Mid at the Academy. Later on you will see the advantage of having gone to a school with a strong alumni network. Also realize that if the Navy sends you a great private university like USC, Notre Dame or Pennsylvania, you will still have a responsibility to donate back to your college once you are successful in life. If the Navy Awards you a scholarship for NROTC you will do active duty service so don't worry about that. (Only the Army and Air Force put folks through school and then put them immediately in the reserves.)

Naval Academy is no longer the prestigious school it once held itself as, and put out as. Today, it is filled with privileged Midshipmen, mainly there because someone had a nice contact, or because of a sport. Does it make much sense to you to commission athletes as officers of an extremely demanding and, can be, dangerous service? Just because you can throw a ball, run a little faster than the average, or pick up a stick to run with, doesn t make you more intelligent, deserving, or, better yet, made to be a Naval Officer. The Academy has lost all of my respect in recent years, and trust me, Virginia Tech with the Corps of Cadets and the NROTC detachment is THE PLACE to be and commission from. We commissioned the NUMBER 1 and NUMBER 2 Midshipmen in the Navy last year, that is Academy included. The commander of the 5th fleet in CENTCOM (Middle East), who just retired from his position, was ROTC. Take my word for it, someone who used to the think the Academy was all that: ROTC is the place to commission as a proper, prepared, and well rounded, mature adult officer. I have so much more to say, but I will leave it at that.

NROTC is fine if you want to stay close to home or if you want a degree that the Academy doesn't offer.

If you can get accepted in the Naval Academy then you should go there. It is more competitive and if you plan on being a line officer then it will help a lot.

What you should consider is what degree you want. See which schools offer it and apply to many. It is always a good idea to have a back up plan.

Hands down, Naval Academy would be my ultimate choice. it's one of the top schools in the country. with your outstanding credentials/achievements, definitely apply for USNA. as a backup, definitely apply to a college with a NROTC program, just in case you don't get accepted to USNA. if you get a really high score on the SAT, that will really make you even more qualified. best of luck.

Source(s): Navy Reservist

If you want to be told what to do all the time and bossed around during college then go to the academy. If you want to live college life, hang with friends on weekends and stuff then do rotc. From enlisted solders that i talked to they say that the officers that come out of the academy are really cocky and hard to deal with at first. Something that really helped me and was extremely fun was the Naval Academy Summer Seminar!!! its where you are basically a plebe at the academy for a week during the summer of your junior going to be a senior year.

Source(s): Going to be in NROTC

Getting into the Academy may be very difficult. Most of the friends you make there'll support you reap your goal a lot better. NROTC is not as strict. Both one will get you on the proper path. Stay up for OCS which is the opposite direction to grow to be an officer within the military. The are traditionally restricted as for as varieties of obligation stations they aare allowed.

NROTC.!!!