What do you think of when you hear Jello-O salad?

I am participating in a cook-off and one of the items on the list is Jell-O Salad. But I'm just wondering what everyone imagines when they think of Jello Salad? Do you think it has to have cool whip? Does it have to be sweet? Have to include fruit? Marshmallows? And finally, do you think that it has to be made with soft jello or can it be made with hard jello like jello jigglers? There are no guidelines for this and I want to be original in this. I was thinking maybe I would make a jello "salad" using jello and fruits and other toppings to make something that really looks like a green salad. Does that sound lame?

• eve
    Favorite Answer

I never really liked or ate jello. My in laws loved it and threw alot of stuff in like carrots and marshmallows and coconut.

If I make it I only add Mandarin oranges or whip it with whipped topping so its like a foam.

But for a cook off???.. I'd try to use the unflavored gelatin and flavor it, maybe like a Tomato aspic Cabrese Salad or a green tea gelatin with some miso dressing and asian veggies?...something new.

Jello salads are really old school and there must be literally thousands of recipes online.

Some jello salads are pretty savory, others are sweeeeet...

Jello salad is not made 'jiggler' style but rather in a bowl or mold usually un-molded for presentation.

Google "recipe jello salad" and find something you like.

I'm not crazy about marshmallows, they don't all have cool whip, some have sour cream, others are beaten to a froth before chilled and layered with 'unbeaten' jello.

Sometimes there are nuts and coconut - really, the possibilities are endless.

Jello is geletin and a lot of chemicals that do not sound appealing to me at all. However I have seen some amazing dishes made from Jello, whip cream and fruit. Check out recipes at Jello.com

Jello is naturally sweet. Lime jello can be delicious. We make lime jello using 7-Up for the "cold" water which adds some zip. Then we use pineapple tidbits and halved or quartered fresh grapes. It looks nice and tastes great. It wouldn't be St. Patty's Day around here without this salad!

That's exactly what I think of.

I think of layers of different Jello colors and flavours.

I think of whipping some of the layers to put bubbles in it.

I think of whipped cream

I think of using Jello pudding somehow.

I think of adding fruit to Jello( peaches, mandarins, kiwi, strawberries, blueberries) etc.

I have an idea , that you could make Jello shapes, then add them to almost set other Jello molds, in a clear glass trifle bowl and see the shapes floating, through the setting Jello. of course contrasting colors.

Good Luck

Caesar salads are a "don't." The dressing is made with egg yolks and oil, if I'm remembering correctly. then the salad is sprinkled with cheese. Salads are typically NOT the best choice for dieters. The only way you can make a salad healthy is if you order the dressing on the side and dip your fork into the dressing, then stab a bite of salad. You take in a lot less fat this way. The reason most people like salads is the delicious, fat laden dressing that drenches the lettuce.

i think of my mother in law-she served it with mayo. it's not something you see to much of now. (I'm 56 and eat it at my mom-in laws house 30 years ago.) you really can put anything into it. most of that generation made it-but in all different ways. some added that canned fruit cocktail-some added shredded carrots. try to think outside the box. like cucumber. i don't know how you can make it look like a green salad. i think -just glorify the jello salad- for what it is. don't try it make something it's not.

Way too many questions...

I will say this: YES, it has to be sweet. Jello has sugar in it and is going to be sweet whether you like it or not.

If you made a gelatine salad with unflavored (Knox) gelatin, it would not need to be sweet or have fruit in it.

When I think of "Jell-o Salad" I think of some circular giggly neon colored ring with fruit and nuts in it and a cream somewhere nearby.

jello salad was never a staple in my family so i only experienced it at school. yuck. i think your idea sounds very unique. i would totally do it.you could do so many fun things with that. i can just imagine cherry "tomatoes" made with cherry jello. i say go for it

you could make 2 diffrent kinds of jello put them in the fridge adn only let them sey up for 2 hourhs then mix them together and try to make them marbled and then let them set up all the way. cut them in to squares and carefully mix in cherrys or that canned fruit salas mandrin oranged or just whipcream but u have to have whipcream