Seriously, are there really any practical applications for solar panel generated electricity?

We have known for years that solar cells have been useful for powering traffic control signs, wristwatches, cellphones, and even laptops. Are their really any useful, practical, applications for solar generated electrical power today?
Update: I don't mean spending $25,000 to cover your roof with solar panels that don't even generate enough electricity to heat it or aircondition it or even run your 1500 watt flat screen TV for more than a few hours. I mean seriously! First you need more than 5 times the rated wattage of any small appliance in PV panel... show more I don't mean spending $25,000 to cover your roof with solar panels that don't even generate enough electricity to heat it or aircondition it or even run your 1500 watt flat screen TV for more than a few hours. I mean seriously! First you need more than 5 times the rated wattage of any small appliance in PV panel wattage just to be to be able to store the sun in batteries so you could run the appliance 24/7 (yep, your gonna forget to turn the lights off, or leave the refrigerator door open, or the front door open, etc). Then you need to provide twice the rated storage capacity of the selected batteries so they don't discharge more than 50%. Then you loose 20% of the energy as heat when converting the DC power to AC power. I mean seriously, what are some useful, practical applications for solar power today.
Update 2: I'm not talking about changing the thermostat up or down 10 degrees in summer/winter which can save more electrical energy in one year than lining the east coast with solar panels from Maine to Florida for 100 years. I'm looking for ideas/plans for things you can do with solar power today thats useful and practical. show more I'm not talking about changing the thermostat up or down 10 degrees in summer/winter which can save more electrical energy in one year than lining the east coast with solar panels from Maine to Florida for 100 years.

I'm looking for ideas/plans for things you can do with solar power today thats useful and practical.