Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 9 years ago

Should I quit Brazilian Jiu Jitsu?

I began training for BJJ 14 months ago. Everyone was a complete jerk for the beginning. The first 6 months, they kept telling me I should quit because I sucked at wrestling. I got really bad on my first tournament, everyone refused to take pictures and to film me because I had no business competing. There's not one picture of me in my first tournament.

I religiously began studying all the 36 Gracie Jiu Jitsu techniques from online videos. I would watch and study the videos before going to class and after class. In 2 months, I became the best wrestler at the dojo.

It's been 6 months already, and no one has been able to make me tap out except for the instructor. So they stopped making fun of me, and decided to ignore me. I love Jiu Jitsu, but class sucks. No one wants to say hello to me, no one talks to me, and no even ever says goodbye to me.

I don't know why were the guys such jerks toward me from the beginning. I don't know what's worse, them making fun of me, or them not talking to me.

I'm getting real good at Jiu Jitsu, I look forward to every tournament. No one at the dojo can make me tap out, but I'm getting real tired of everyone's attitude.

Since there is no other Brazilian Jiu Jitsu school in my town, I can't just change schools. I don't know if I should keep putting up with the other guys just because I love to wrestle.

Should I quit Brazilian Jiu Jitsu?

Favorite Answer

you're not there to make friends, you're there to learn BJJ

First of all, you go to a martial arts school to learn martial arts not for socializing, of course you'll eventually find a friend in your school, but that depends on your attitude and personality. If you are a douche, then you won't make any friends no matter how good you become. Secondly, the impression I get from what you are saying is that you think they are mean to you and ignore you because of your skill(either you lack it or have a lot of it) at least that's what you are convinced the reason is. But have you ever thought about whether or not they ignore you because of your attitude? You say they were complete jerks at the start, because they said you had no business competing, that could mean you insist on sparring even if you were not ready yet and biting off more than you can chew, which shows c0ckiness. Then you say you studied videos and attribute your new found skill to self learning instead of the lessons from your class, that means you like to gloat over the fact that you don't need to learn from your instructor and just go to the gym to show off your skills and make everyone tap to show them up.Of course no one would want to talk to you. You could be the best grappler in the class but if you act like a douche, then no one would want to talk with you. Most people who are ego centered would assume that becoming skillful and not tapping out would be enough to impress people and make the others change their minds and suddenly want to be friends with them. If you read your own statements, you can see that you like to emphasize the fact that you're good and except for your instructor, no one in your class can make you tap out, if that doesn't reek of c0ckiness and ego I don't know what is. Should you quit BJJ? That's up to you. Should you change your attitude? Absolutely. You wanna make friends, leave your ego at the door.

So they were man to you becasue you were not instantly good. Then you became the best BJJ plyer in the gym from watching online videos. And now they dont talk to you becasue they are seemingly jealous of you? WOW that really quite a story

I have a story for you.

Its about a kid that signs up at a BJJ gym what happens is that He walks in the 1st day ready to train UFC. but because he's seen Chuck Liddell fight so many time he thinks hes already the best in the gym and has a big ego. He starts rolling nd gets tapped repeatedly. Unable to take defeat he just keeps rlling and getting tapped after a few months of "Not learning anything" he quits and never comes back.

He then comes on to yahoo answers to be a keyboard black belt

Source(s): Youre full of it and you know it

I am really sorry for you, it sounds like you have fallen into a sad excuse for a club. From what you say it sounds as though the contempt you first encountered has turned into jealousy. Don't give up something you love so much, if you can find another martial art you like the look of talk to the senior instructor an tell him or her what you have encountered at your current club and ask if there is any way to include your knowledge within the new clubs training syllabus. Any instructor worth his salt would jump at the chance to get new information that may improve the standard and standing of his students. You have much to offer, and much still to learn. Good Luck.

Why to quit?So what if is some idiots guys making fun of you.I had ald friends to mma and they always beating me up.i Stop have a relationship with them because they turn thugs.We end up bullying me a day so I was in difficult potition.Now, I go mma every day but they can't so they stoped telling things like, hah him??Hes has no power, we always beat him.Just continue like I did.When you surpass them all and you will, they will be so jealous that you won't have a problem ignoring them.If they making fun of you ,you shouldn't even do something about that,it's not worthing.A grow up man would do the same thing(maybe he would chat with the first).There no point doing something.Just improve yourself.You stay there try harder and harder and they won't even fight with you again.They will ignore you more(in a way you like)!!!!!!!!!!!!

That really sucks.Yeah ive met my fair share of douche bags.And i train ina small town with one mma gym.so not like I could just go to a KB gym, judo,etc.I can 100% understand the wanting to quit but you should def not quite for ever.You've obvioulsy proved yourself.I don't know what state your in but I know almost each big mma state has a grappling tournament everyother month.I would think about going to the gym once in a while to keep your skills sharp.then compete at the tournament as a individual.I belong to a gym but still do my tournaments individually.Not everyones a douche.lol.good luck tell me how it works out and maybe see you at NAGA or Grapplers Quest one day.lol

Source(s): experience.bjj4l

Hey, I think yeah, you should quit Brazilian Jiu-jitsu. But don't quit martial arts.. Since you are pretty good at ground fighting now try something that is more stand-up.. For example I really like Muay Thai Kickboxing, or try karate, judo, or regular boxing. Those will make you an all round good fighter. then you can do MMA tournaments.

Give it some time or look at traveling to different areas. You've got a long way to go on on that journey hang in there. Maybe look for another school.

Personally i think your being a complete emo case time to suck it up and bring it up with the people there and earn their respect it seems you didn't think of that thanks for the 2 points.

• Zak

No, just change gyms.