Why do people hate Bill gates?

I was recently browsing youtube videos and one of ones that came up was the infamous video of someone pieing Mr. Gates. Most of the comments were from people disgusted with the action. Many mentioned how generous Bill is etc.

It does bring up the question. Why do so many people hate Bill Gates?

Do people hate him simply because they feel something or someone expects them to hate him? Is it simple jealousy or envy? Is it that people dislike (or hate) Microsoft and are confusing the actions of the company with the actions of Bill Gates?

In the end, is there anything Bill has done to warrant such dislike?

I wonder if it could also be that people see the success he has and assume he did something illegal or at least dishonest to be this successful? I.e., rather then a lot of determination, hard work, smarts and yes, luck contributing to his success, people assume he must have cheated somehow. Yes, there have been all sorts of accusations of bullying by Microsoft. I remember that antitrust case from years back that if I remember correctly, the court ended up throwing it out.

I'm sure the attention he gets could be part of it.

I wonder how much of it is really dislike for Microsoft and/or Windows in general?

I do admit that the whole anti Bill Gates/Microsoft thing seems mostly in the past now so maybe I should have asked why *did* rather then why do.

I do wonder if the vilifying of Microsoft is/was for similar reasons that way society tends to vilify the rich. Maybe it's hard for some to accept that Bill is in reality a very generous person and nice guy because of the stereotypes abo

• Cletus
    Favorite Answer

Those of us who have spent twenty years using crappy, insecure Windows operating systems, and see Gates living with his 40 billion dollars and his hot wife, are naturally inclined to sort of dislike him, but I don;t think many people really "hate" him. He has done some good philanthropic things with his money and the newer Windows seem to be better than the old ones.

I really think it's Windows that everybody hates, more so than Mr Gates.

Many people don't like him because Microsoft used to be (and still can be) seen as a corporate bully. They used to trample over small companies.

Personally I think that Microsoft did nothing wrong. If you don't like what Microsoft did, then blame the economic system and government. Not the companies.

I've never hated Bill Gates. If someone does they have no brain because he was a smart man and helped make computers easier.

• Amanda

Because they don't like spending money, and Micro$oft is expensive and popular, which makes Bill Gates popular. Popular people get a lot of attention, not all of it pleasant.

this is my opinion but i think ppl hate him cuz they r lazy nobodys that are jealous of his fame and wealth.

Source(s): myself