What would a shilling in Charles Dickens' time convert into in modern currency?

In "A Christmas Carol" it says Bob Cratchit was paid 15 shillings a week. I assume that would be a paltry wage then or now.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Here is the perfect answer you are seeking;

Using the National Currency Conversion website listed here:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/currency/result...

I converted ONE POUND from the year 1840 to a value of ONE POUND today. 44 pounds.

So, Bob Cratchit only earned 3/4 pound per week, or 33 pounds per week in today's currency.

The same website listed this 33 pounds as a normal THREE DAYS WAGES for somebody in the building trade.

Since you are from the United States, that is $ 51.30 dollars a week.

conversion :

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/currencies/converter/?...

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

National Archives Currency Converter

• Well, there were 20 shillings to the pound, so 15 shillings was 3/4 of a pound.

Back then, the pound was worth about $4.70, so it was about $3.50/wk. I don't know exactly how that compared to average wages back then, but Bob certainly wasn't getting rich working for Scrooge.

• 5 years ago

15 shillings was the average wage for an in town Labourer in London in 1840 per Parliament Notes so Scrooge was paying the average amount. Once again his plight was exaggerated by the left wing author.

• Genuine4 years agoReport

He was not exaggerating. His point was that the average wage was indecent and did not provide enough wages for a hardworking man to support a family in anything but impoverished conditions, or even access to a doctor for a child doomed to early death without proper healthcare.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

12 pence equals one shilling

12 days of christmas connected/?

20 shillings equals one pound

o ne hundred pounds per year for a high book keeper today 18 -20 thousand dollars

somewhere around five- Hundred dollars up to six hundred dollars in american money per week

would have been his take home staple .... on the higher end of estimations

off the top of my head

have to compare good and services of then and now

• Genuine4 years agoReport

In "The Old Curiosity Shop" it is clear that 125 Pounds a year was considered a handsome fortune that would allow someone to live comfortably without ever having to work while being a benefactor to a non-family member to pay for their education and clothe them in "silks." So $100K+ in today's $

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

maybe that is right

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.